Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Livestock - Chicken Virtual Reality
Some of us raise free range chickens, or have semi-wild chickens living in our yards. I have a few that roam around the neighborhood where I live. I never thought of their day to day lives as particularly stressful, but according to Austin Stewart, an assistant professor at Iowa State University free range chickens have higher indicators of stress than birds that live in cages.

His solution? Virtual reality for chickens. Industrial raised chickens housed in cages, wearing tiny chicken size headsets to replicate a life outdoors with paths and bugs and water, and other virtual chickens to share their virtual lives.

He hasn't tested his idea yet, but I'm thinking my neighborhood birds would prefer their chances with the occasional mongoose, rainstorm, or cat.

Although, maybe virtual cockfights would be an improvement.

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/19/5729182/the...al-reality
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
They need virtual cocktails. That should solve the problem.
Commercial chicken producers were experimenting with red contact lenses to increase egg production when I was in ag school a few decades ago. Perhaps all your chickens need are rose colored contact lenses to get a more relaxed perspective.
How the !!!! would you put contact lenses into dozens of chickens' eyes? I can barely get them into my own.
wouldn't it be easier to have red covers on the lights?

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
If u cage free range chickens they will need the chicken psychiatrist to cure extreme claustrophobia. Will calm down after 2 long days of banging their head against the screen.
A "chicken tractor" is a good combination of free range and security. It's basically a coop on wheels without a floor, that you move around to fresh ground as necessary. Google it for pix.