Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police Investigate Shooting in Puna
FYI: (*Snipped - More at link)

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/25908...c-shooting

Big Island police are investigating a shooting over the weekend in the Puna District.

At about 11:07 a.m. Saturday (June 28), police received a call of an in-progress threat incident in the Eden Roc subdivision in Mountain View involving a man brandishing a machete.

Responding officers arriving on 6th Street discovered a 30-year-old man with apparent gunshot wounds after he stopped his tow truck to inform police what happened.

The victim was taken to Hilo Medical Center in serious condition and has since been released. Police say he was subsequently arrested for unrelated warrants and remains in the police cellblock.

Detectives are continuing the investigation, which is classified as a second-degree attempted murder.

Detectives do not have a suspect in custody but are looking for a man known as “Dennis,” who is described as between 40 and 50 years old, with short salt-and-pepper hair and a mustache. He was last seen wearing jeans shorts.

Police ask that anyone with information about this incident or anyone who may have witnessed it contact Detective Dean Uyetake at 961-2379 or deuyetake@co.hawaii.hi.us or Detective John Rodrigues Jr. at 961-8222 or jrodrigues@co.hawaii.hi.us.
It would be interesting to hear the rest of the story. If he was threatening the other person with the machete then there's no attempted murder. Of course he may not have been.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Why speculate? I mean why?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Because of the way the story was written. It logically leads me to that suspicion. Could be that I've been on that or very similar calls a few times. I amazed a rookie a few years ago while we were standing in dispatch by detailing the events, of what sounded like a hot call to him, as it played out but before it was actually happening. He looks at me all amazed thinking I'm some genius or have special powers and wanting to know how I did that. I simply explained "Same $hit every day."

Besides, what harm? I thought I had it covered with the last sentence. I'm also fully aware that news stories rarely resemble the truth. I've read stories of some of my cases and was generally left thinking, WTF! Truly amazing! It's just as likely his dog was accidentally shot while he was chopping guava trees with a machete while pig hunting.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Have to agree with Rob. What's the point, beyond fueling gossip?
life is short. enjoy it
oink, tend to agree with you; comes with your experience(s). My husband "called" many a case given 24 years on the force. Comes with the territory.

Update, the "victim" of the shooting was arrested on other warrants. Shooter still on the loose. I'm more upset that there is someone out there with a gun, and willing to use it! JMO.

(*Snipped - More at link):

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/25908...c-shooting

The victim was taken to Hilo Medical Center in serious condition and has since been released. Police say he was subsequently arrested for unrelated warrants and remains in the police cellblock.

Detectives are continuing the investigation, which is classified as a second-degree attempted murder.

Detectives do not have a suspect in custody but are looking for a man known as “Dennis,” who is described as between 40 and 50 years old, with short salt-and-pepper hair and a mustache. He was last seen wearing jeans shorts.
Update:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/break...=267600201

Puna man arrested in Hawaii island shooting

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED: 04:42 p.m. HST, Jul 17, 2014

"Hawaii island police arrested a Puna man Wednesday in connection with a shooting in Mountain View last month.

On June 28, a 30-year-old Puna man reported that he was shot by a man identified as "Dennis" at the intersection of Ohia Street and Ulei/6th road in the Eden Roc subdivision.

The 58-year-old suspect was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. He was held at the Hilo police cellblock while detectives continued the investigation. After conferring with prosecutors, detectives released the suspect pending further investigation."

Sometimes Puna web is like a hair salon.

News travels faster via punaweb (aka the hair salon) than it does thru traditional outlets such as our local newspaper...
How much for a cut and color?