Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii not always about Aloha
The Tahitians that became the native Hawaiians did bring Aloha with them. But they also brought Ku, the god of war. Along with Ku, they brought a range of martial combat. There would be disputes in the villages, two men needing to fight. It would be kapu to just get in a fight in the village. So, the villagers would move off to a clear area, standing in a circle and watch the men fight, sometimes to the death. One of the martial arts systems was to block a blow with a blow, fist against fist, often breaking hands.

So, Hawaii isn't just about Aloha. In fact, Puna has a long history of being the fight capital of the Hawaiian islands.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Ku was not brought during the first wave of migrations from Tahiti, in fact it was one of the last waves. Until then the different ali'i worked cooperatively and shared resources from each ahupua'a and moku (district) between them. After Ku was brought, the inter-island wars started up and continued until Kamehameha conquered all the other ali'i and established the Kamehameha dynasty. So the blood thirsty warrior society was actually a fairly late development in Hawaii.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
So then the kapuna would decide if the fight would be allowed, and fights usually over lack of respect for tradition, the people, or land? Or as a general rule just fit and ready?

Community begins with Aloha