Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Say Yeah for the Pahoa Pool!
I have been swimming almost every day at the Pahoa pool as part of my rehabilitation after breaking my leg in March. I just want to say what a great thing that pool is for our community, the staff are professional but friendly, the place is kept amazingly clean for the heavy use it gets, and the solar heaters keep the water a reasonable temperature, at least when we aren't experiencing monsoon rains.

We are so lucky to have this resource in a rural community of our size, and I love not having to pay a fee on top of my taxes to use it.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
You nailed it, Carol. I love the Pahoa pool. Wish I could go there more often.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
We are going every day, but I go back to work on the 29th and then I have to start bombing out of work in Hilo in time to get my hour in before the pool closes. I do wish they were open during the early morning pre-work hours, I would love to swim before I start my day, but what we already have is still pretty great.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Yep, the pool is great, but I am now a member of UH, the pool there is even better. No one hardly ever goes so... But if I didn't have UH pool, I'd still be going to Pahoa pool.

Been hanging out at the hot pounds more often now days tho! Wink

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
ercilp,
Do you know if members of the public can pay a semester or yearly fee to use the facilities at UH? Some universities let you do that, and others let you use them if you are an alumni, and still others let you in if you take just 1 class. Do you know what the deal is with UH by any chance. I am going to need to keep swimming during the school year and I don't want to miss a day if I have a meeting with parents or administration.

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb
My husband and I swim at the Pahoa pool 3-4 times a week. It is a treasure, for sure.

The UHH pool is only open to students and faculty of UHH, according to their website. HAWCC students can join if they pay a fee. No community memberships are available.

An option for late afternoons might be the NAS pool near the airport. They have adult fitness classes that cost $20 a session or $60 a quarter. It's a very small pool but friends have told me the classes are good.
I was looking at those classes, they looked really good, although a little later than ideal for my schedule. I'm glad to hear a recommendation for them.

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb
Glad to hear the good news about the pool, Carol and we all hope you are on the mend soon. Swimming is such great exercise. Curious, if you know, what the fee would be to use the gym at UH (if I didn't want to take a class).
Carol,

Well, I'm attending HCC part time, you do have to pay 80 bucks a semester (a steal if you ask me -- about 20 bucks a month) since it's not just the pool, but access to everything, Gym, basketball, showers, lockers, etc...etc... I use the weights and treadmill as well.

Anyway, you could register at HCC and take one class a semester and have access all you need is a HCC or UH student ID card. I sometimes see workers going so, I guess if you work for UH or HCC that is another way in.

Whats nice is that they open everything up at 6:30 so I can get a work out in the morning before the day starts. Altho, they close off the pool at 7PM, the gym is open till 9PM. The hours are wonderful. Wish Pahoa pool had the same hours.

Front Desk 932-7607 / Offices 932-7611 Call em, I am sure there are other options if you wanted to use the pool.

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
Carol, you must be a UH student, employee or faculty to utilize any of their student life center facilities (unfortunately the community ed classes do not count, but any others, even a one credit class, does)

The nice thing is, there are many other great classes & programs that you get with the student life center... SLC link:
http://hilo.hawaii.edu/rec/center/StudentLifeCenter.php