Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who do you use Insurance ?
If you live within 1000 feet of the ocean, State Farm will not insure your house.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
A friend of mine found a lender that doesn't require hurricane insurance at his location on Oahu. I'll try to remember to ask who it was.
Our house was built 1n 1993, a year before "superior construction" became part of the housing code. It's basically adding a bunch of hurricane ties throughout the house but people with "superior construction" pay about 1/2 of the premium for hurricane insurance as compared to those of us with older houses.

One thing the State of Hawaii has lots of is government and one of the state agencies is the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA). Every year they publish a list of hypothetical insurance rates for both Houses and Cars with the intent to compare avocados to avocados and mangoes to mangoes. It's a pretty long list but if you are shopping rates and not personalities or service potential it could be a good place to start. Here's a link to their house insurance rate comparisons with downloadable PDFs for homeowners, renters, and condom people:

http://cca.hawaii.gov/ins/consumer/homeo...omparison/

LLoyd's of London.. From Atlas Insurance. Had it since 1999? They will insure anything. I'm on lava zone 2, about 300 feet from ocean. All covered, But my dog! LOL. Funny LOL stands for my insurance?? Great Insurance company.
punalvr