Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AM Radio Reception
I was wondering if any one else living - say from Kapoho to Kalapana has any trouble with AM radio reception? Generally I get none, or extremely bad AM reception where I live in Opihikao.
On the FM bandwidth I get quite a few stations very well, although their are some peculair forms of interference I get at exact intervals, like every 5 seconds (sounds like a pop or bang) on one day , and then on another day exactly 2 second intervals. These always occur at the same station.
As far as I know this would't be radar interference from the Southpoint Nexrad Station (WSR-88D weather radars) (http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/hawaii_loop.php) since their are a lot of Mountains and valleys between myself and Southpoint, and watching radar returns doesn't light up anything that close to me.
Don't forget about the FAA radar on 130 near the county water spigots. I have suspected it may be causing interference.
Wow! Yeah, I'm getting the same thing, on 105.3 but also on 107.7.

The 'click' sounds almost... digital. not like static or interference.

If I tune to static, I only get static, so the 'click' only affects stations.

It seems to have only started recently, I'm used to being able to listen to 105.3.

The 'click' is on multiple radios, but I've only tried car radios.

Did it start with RIMPAC?
The interference on 105.3 and 107.7 has been going on for a few weeks. It may be intermittent-- I don't listen to those stations regularly enough to know. It sounds to me like a computer somewhere need a re-start.

As for AM, there's only 3 stations on air in Hilo, out of the 4 that are fully licensed. That's 670, 850 and 1060. KHNU 620 is off air. It looks like there are permits to construct new AM stations on 1260 and 1450.

The nice thing about AM radio in the middle of the Pacific Ocean is that, after the sun sets and the conditions change, you can get AM stations from all over the islands pretty clearly, with minimal interference. On most of the planet, AM radio is a wasteland of interference. It's okay here though!
quote:
Originally posted by terry.way

Wow! Yeah, I'm getting the same thing, on 105.3 but also on 107.7.

The 'click' sounds almost... digital. not like static or interference.

If I tune to static, I only get static, so the 'click' only affects stations.

It seems to have only started recently, I'm used to being able to listen to 105.3.

The 'click' is on multiple radios, but I've only tried car radios.

Did it start with RIMPAC?

Yes, matches my experience exactly, except yesterday 105.3 was totally silent for as long as i sampled it.
Does seem to have started around RIMPAC time, not sure though.
quote:
Originally posted by H22

The interference on 105.3 and 107.7 has been going on for a few weeks. It may be intermittent-- I don't listen to those stations regularly enough to know. It sounds to me like a computer somewhere need a re-start.

As for AM, there's only 3 stations on air in Hilo, out of the 4 that are fully licensed. That's 670, 850 and 1060. KHNU 620 is off air. It looks like there are permits to construct new AM stations on 1260 and 1450.

The nice thing about AM radio in the middle of the Pacific Ocean is that, after the sun sets and the conditions change, you can get AM stations from all over the islands pretty clearly, with minimal interference. On most of the planet, AM radio is a wasteland of interference. It's okay here though!

I get only one , 1060 I think, as well, night time is useless for me (was trying to get C TO C
and it is barley audible 90 % of the time , occasionally I can hear it ok for a few seconds.