Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earthquake Central Peru - 7.0 / California - 6.0
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ma...-1.1913557
SEE IT: Massive crack in the Earth opens in Mexico
Wow, thanks pahoated, I had not seen that yet. That's something else.
As in the Ka'u crack. But that is old. Let's hope it does not change this week.
I live in Santa Rosa, have to say it shook pretty good and felt like it lasted quite a while, but it wasn't as bad as Loma Prieta. Our power went out but was restored a little after 8:00 this morning, so out for less than 5 hours, which made me feel even more sympathy for those of you in Puna who were (or still are) without power for such a long time. It's back to business as usual here, not so for the poor people in Napa who got hit harder and are without both power and water.

I was basically incommunicado during the power outage because I had not charged my cel phone and the battery was low. There is a lesson for me.
Glad you're OK! Thanks for the report.

Two things I have done since the tsunami scares and power outages are to be sure I do have a cell phone charger in the car so I can go out and plug it in to make a call if need be.

Second I bought a Mophie case for my phone, so there is a bunch of reserve power stored in the case that I can draw on if I let the phone run down.

Third we have a back up battery for one computer, which can run the computer and charge a phone, that lasts a while ... and the computer of course has a Skype account (although no good if the internet goes down separately from the power).

Not that 5 hours without a phone call is a bad thing, but it's not desirable when there's an emergency situation either.
Thanks Kathy! My car charger was damaged by the carwash attendant and they have been out of stock at Best Buy, but I just ordered one on line and a Mophie case too. Had never heard of a Mophie case, clearly I need to up my tech knowledge, but thanks for the tip, can't wait to receive it!

Are you originally from the Bay Area? Did you have culture shock when you moved to the BI? Doesn't seem that different to me, but I spend a lot of time in Sebastopol Smile
Hi PooLaLa, good deal. I knew nothing of the Mophie until I upgraded my phone a few months back and had to buy a new case for the new size. The ATT&T store guys showed it to me, and then I got one for less money on an EBay auction. The one that costs more has more reserve energy. I got the less expensive.

To answer your question, I was raised spending summers in San Anselmo with my grandparents. From 1972-2002 I lived at various times on the Mendocino Coast, in St. Helena (my Napa Valley summer), Fairfax in Marin, Berkeley, Oakland. I looked at Sebastopol at one point as a place to move. Kind of has it all with the mild climate and the cool culture.

There are a fair number of people here from Mendocino. The ones I know are mostly in Kapa'au /Hawi or a couple brave souls pioneering in HOVE. Yes, it's still culture shock, but mostly in a good way, and all of it a learning experience.
PS. I was in the tiny majority of not at all affluent residents of Marin. Added because people hear Marin and they think rich kid. Nope, my grandfather moved there in 1934, during the Depression and built a house when Marin was affordable and not connected to the City except by ferry. It was the sticks back then.