Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duplexes ?
I know that there is alot of condos, but are there any Duplexes on the eastside of the island? thank you for the great information
Naomi
Aloha Naomi, yes, probably as many as in any area with a comparable population. If you are considering building one, there are zoning restrictions on location, and most subdivisions with CCR's won't allow it, however I have seen duplexes in Paradise Park and Ainaloa. The county allowes "Ohana" housing. Ohana translated is family. Out of tradition (or necessity) Hawaiian families often all lived together under 1 roof, or on the same piece of property, often shareing 1 kitchen with separate cabins or separate entrances on 1 big house for cousins, tutu, aunties, etc. The county is getting somewhat recalcitrant about allowing this anymore, because of abuse of the system, i.e. people running rooming houses in the countryside, but they're still being built. I'm not sure, but I believe you must proove blood relation to do this. Check with the county @ www.hawaii-county.com

Thank you Hutch, That was exactly what I was looking for. I do understand that they have different zoning and about CCR'sthan residental. I was told on another website that an Ohanas are hard to get. But if all they what is blood relation than that is fine with me. thanks
Naomi

Edited by - Naomi W on 12/22/2005 13:46:03
I have a memo from the county from October 13, 2003 - The memo says it is number 03-24. Here are the basics since I don't have time to type the whole thing and I couldn't find it online.....

To: Staff
Planning Director

SUBJECT: Guest Houses

The purpose of this memo is to reverse a previous Director's memo dated Jan. 7, 1976, and to allow "guest houses" in the State Land Use Agricultural District as a permitted use.

The Hawaii county Code, sec. 25-1-5(b)(55), defines a "guest house" as "an accessory building used as sleeping quarters for guests of the occupants of the main dwelling and having no cooking facilities."

Sec.25-4-9 limits guest houses to a certain size: "One guest house may only be established on a building site that is at least seven thousand fice hundred square feet in area. A guest house shall not exceed five hundred square feet in gross floor area, shall not be more than twenty feet in height, and shall not have a kitchen."

Under the Zoning Code, a guest house is simply a detached building that can have bedrooms for guests of the occupants of a home. Having overnight guests and spare bedrooms for guests is an accessory use to a home. It is not listed as a separate use because it is accessory.

So there you have it. There is more to this memo, and I can fax it to anyone that is interested. I have also learned from my boss that you can have separate bedrooms off of a main house as long as they are "attached" to the main house in any way - this could even just be a sidewalk with a roof over it that would "attach" the two units together. This "separate" bedroom would be considered part of the main house. Of course, no second kitchen is allowed.

Gee Emily, the last paragraph of your post is my house! I have a 1 bedroom house with a loft, and two more bedrooms across an open lanai, like a bridge, then up a flight of outside stairs over the carport. It is listed in the tax records as 1 house by Hawaii County. I also have Ohana zoning for a small cabin at the back of my lot. The Ohana permit was acquired by the previous owner in the 1980's.

Edited by - leilaniguy on 12/22/2005 18:58:43
Just so I understand from Emily post. the guest house does not have a kichten. But are you allowed a bath? Thank you for the great information.
Naomi
Sure, I have 1 & 1/2 baths in the lower living area, 1 in the upstairs part. I don't think you really are limited in the amount of beds or baths by the code.

thank you, you guys are so great. A girl does need her bathroom. Thank you again
Naomi
Naomi, you are correct. No kitchen is allowed, but you can have a bathroom in the "guest house". You can also have a bar sink. I do know that you are only allowed 5 bedrooms per cesspool.

The zoning on my land allows us to build a residence and also a "farm dwelling". The farm dwelling is meant to be for farm workers. You also have to have some sort of "farm plan" to be able to build the farm dwelling, but it can be as simple as planting some trees and saying you will be selling the trees someday. The farm dwelling is the same as a second house, so there wouldn't be the no kitchen requirement like on the guest house.