Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H.E.L.P. Puna website
This site has been set up to help people relocate animals from the area threatened by lava. They do ask donations but that doesn't seem to be a prerequisite. Thought I'd post the link just FYI.

http://www.goodshepherdfoundation.org/

I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
FYI: (From Last Night's Meeting)

(*Snipped - More at link incl. video)

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2014/0...ned-kaohe/

Syd Singer sent us a flyer for the resource (above), and his son Solomon addressed the crowd in Pahoa on Tuesday night. Kaohe resident and Malama O Puna member Rene Siracusa also informed the crowd of other options that are available. She thanked Civil Defense head Darryl Oliveira for all his work in coordinating help for the animals.

The Hawaii Island Humane Society recently shared a few tips to help keep animals safe in the event of an evacuation:

HIHS encourages all pet owners to be safe and prepared. If you are advised to evacuate, please consider your pet’s safety. Do not leave animals behind.

Develop a plan for their ongoing care including transportation arrangements.

Larger animals including horses and livestock may need to be moved well in advance. Call friends or family members to locate alternate pastures.

Gather items for your pet’s emergency kit –

Crate
Leash
Food
Water
Bowls
Towel
Identification
Medication (if applicable)

If you evacuate, arrive at your destination prepared with your pet’s emergency kit and take your pets!
quote:
Originally posted by opihikao...
If you evacuate, arrive at your destination prepared with your pet’s emergency kit and take your pets! [/i]

Excellent post!

Since we are by the ocean, my precious baby dog got a life vest from his Aunty as a gift. Although it sounds funny, I have his 3 day bag packed ready to go too with ours for any emergency evacuation.

Please include any meds your dog takes in their 3-day bag. Better to get extra leashes and just store it in the bag, especially if you have more than 1 dog. No need to spend valuable time looking for them when you can have them packed already. This is a good time to get them an extra blankie too. When it all gets crazy, they will have their known blankie and it will help them stay calm.

For cats, have their carrier ready with the 3 day bag inside it. It takes longer to get them into carriers so you call pull the 3 day bag out when you get to a safe location.

The most important thing is that pets will get a little wobbly / frightened but as long as you are with them, they will be okay.

I can not even imagine not taking pets, any pets with me.

I learned something in the Iselle evacuation that may help others:

A friend advised me to get my cats into one area EARLY (a day or more if you have enough advanced warning)(I had them in our office the Wed. before Iselle hit) and have their crates open in the room for a day or so to get them used to the crate (I have 2 semi-reformed feral cats along with a cool cat stray, one still did NOT want to go into the crate...the stray kinda took up sleeping in it...) This made it soo much easier to get them into the crates when I realized that evacuating might be the best idea.

Also, I used a disposable container in the crate for a litter tray (not needed in the quick Iselle evacuation, but maybe in a multi-day scenario...)
Just posted an add offering to help haul livestock. No charge! Read some of the other ads, I can't believe some people want to charge for services. I live just down hill from Kaohe Hmsd. We all in da same boat here. Where's da Aloha?
Born and Raised. Puna grown!
quote:
Originally posted by UsGuys

Just posted an add offering to help haul livestock. No charge! Read some of the other ads, I can't believe some people want to charge for services. I live just down hill from Kaohe Hmsd. We all in da same boat here. Where's da Aloha?

I agree! I am pretty sure that if someone offered their truck/services to help folks evacuate their animals that they would be reimbursed for the cost of gas if not more than that out of appreciation! And if not, then, well, you did a good thing for another human being and their animals.
Thank you UsGuys for your kind heartedness!
great info posted on this thread. Reminded me to thank Carey for her hurricane preparation advice offered before the storm hit. She reminded me of things I most likely would have forgotten without her messages. Mana'o like this makes Punatalk rich indeed.