Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Governor's emergency proclamation
Frank,
Railroad is also closer to the flow and would become inundated by the flow long before the Beach road. I would suspect both roads will be tackled differently because of how the proclamation is worded. It was expressed for emergency use of this event only. Thus railroad maybe re-cut but then kept closed unless needed. The beach road will likely be widened and paved and left open permanently. That's my guess.
Beach Road is in the tsunami evacuation zone, which means it can't get any Federal money, even for emergency purposes, never mind permanent pavement.

Does anyone know where the money for this alternate road is coming from ? What projects / services will be cut so the people who chose to live on the side of the world's most active volcano get an additional road paid for by taxpayers ? There was just a report on the news that new State revenue projections are down $100 million. How much will County property taxes be raised to subsidize those who bought cheap land, knowing it was at risk from lava?
A few years back (1985?) there was a lava flow approaching Hilo. Perhaps the whole island should simply be abandoned.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
agree with that Wao...in addition, a paved gov beach rd from hpp to waawaa would double for a beautiful bike ride along pristine coast when not in use for evacuation...we'll deal with tasami when the time comes...aloha
Punaperson,
If you read the Governors emergency proclamation (which is not the Mayors emergency declaration), it states the funding is from the States emergency fund.

ETA... all public roads are paid for by tax payers, nothing new about that.
I wonder if they'd reopen the closed part of Beach in HPP (too close to the cliff) or just route it along 1st Ave for a while.
That would be way cheaper - 1st is already paved.
They closed that section of road because of the erosion of the cliffs causing undercuts and cracks very close to the road. The vibrations and weight of cars driving were likely to increase the cracking and collapse of the cliffs, there are already places where the old road edge and cliff edge are one and the same. No way that stretch will be used as a road again.

Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I'm curious as to the cliff near Hawaiian Beaches/Shores at Honolulu landing. I'm going to guess they will cut it back through the vegetation and connect with Puna Coastal Parkway. From there on I haven't any idea how they'll continue except to link back to it North of the Beaches/Shores on that already existing but neglected section of the Beach Rd. to HPP.
This is all contingent on the flow continuing for a long time. Then, this flow could stall with another one after it covering even more area, which is the pattern of the last 3 flows. It just looks like Puu Oo will be feeding flows for an extended time and eventually, Hwy 130 gets covered over. The roulette wheel right now seems to indicate this crossing will happen south of Pahoa, if the crevice path is more dominant, or possibly north Pahoa, if the pooling surface flow is more active, or a combination of both.

If Hwy 130 is cut off south of Pahoa, then people can still take the long way around for quite awhile. If it crosses more north through the middle of Pahoa, then people still could take the long way around for a long time. These alternate routes aren't a real emergency for many months. It is going to be laugh riot material for future county council meetings. They be kind of quiet through this.

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*