Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COQUI CONTROL - My report
[quote]
@Glen:
"I would start the conference with an audio clip of 2,000 coquis at 20 paces, at actual volume. I would play it for about five minutes before I even said a word. Just long enough for people to get slightly uncomfortable."
-I like your idea, but coqui recorded at twenty feet would be more fun Smile

@Jane,
Thanks for that information~
I heard about this contest on KHBC Radio and I think it's a brilliant idea towards ridding the 'aina of this wretched invasive species:

Coqui 'bounty hunters' lured with new video players, iPods

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:18 AM HST

High school students recruited to catch coqui for prizes

by Bret Yager
Tribune-Herald Staff Writer

Catch coqui, win cool stuff.

That's the premise of a new coqui-catching competition for high school students set up by the Hawaii Island Economic Development Board with help from the Coqui Frog Working Group.

Come late October, East Hawaii kids will be seeking out the noisy pests, zippering them in plastic bags and turning them in to their schools in a two-week race to win Xbox 360s, PlayStation 3s and iPods for students and cash awards for schools.

They'll drop the frogs in barrels containing frog-lethal baking soda provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and use poster boards to keep track of their coqui kills. Whoever gathers the most wins.

The "coqui bounty hunter" theme will come with T-shirts and a catchy jingle broadcast on local radio stations. Hawaii comedian and radio and TV personality Augie T. will be the campaign spokesman.

"Since there is no longer money coming in from the state, we decided to involve the youth in catching coqui," said Madeline Keane, administrative assistant at the HIEDB. "We wanted it to be educational so the kids can see what's going on with the coqui and also help out."

The line-up of participating schools includes Hilo, Waiakea, Keaau, Pahoa and Laupahoehoe high schools.

"The schools in the coqui areas are really excited because they realize the problem," Keane said.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal05.txt
people got to stop worrying about the stupid frogs all they do is make noise.Fire Ants are here and spreading and they can Kill kids,pets,livestock and make life realy miserable. think no more slipers or sitting on the ground and trying to keep them out of the house will be a full time project

Am I the only one wondering about the schools in East Hawaii having tubs of coqui, in the possibly not so lethal baking soda??? Some of those film clips from movies like ET come to mind, frogs everywhere in the school... Plus there are probably students who may not want to participate in a frog killing event at school....again, movies like ET come to mind...
(Plus, as I relayed this to a FWS friend, he was wondering what the point of having kids catch what can only be a very small population .... )

Edited by - carey on 10/14/2007 11:19:59
If you dust when its wet then the soda will go into solution and hit the acidic soil where it will be neutralized, which is why its recommended to do it when its drought conditions. The frog has a small patch of skin on its bottom that it takes in water with, this patch of skin is sealed by the soda, the frogs reaction is to flip over on its back in an effort to get water and then its back is sealed...once this happens its just a matter of several minutes (depending on the temperature) that it will pass away.
The frog throws its voice so you maynot be hitting the area where the frog is, also if you think you are doing a complete coverage of the area (360 degrees) and have not stopped the frog then most likely its not in that area. You can stop the alpha male frog in one tree and he'll be replaced by another if you have a large population. The soda works but is only as good as the site survey, application, weather conditions.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Don't shoot the messenger.
One evening in September,I was driving from Naalehu to Kona, at mile marker 100 (on Hwy 11) I started hearing the frogs. I think they are at the transfer station, and about the next 5 miles I could still hear them. Maybe they're on their way to Kona.
Aloha,

Jen
California/Hawaii
They are already in Kona. They are up Koloko as well as a few other places but not to the extent that they are established here in Puna.

quote:
One evening in September,I was driving from Naalehu to Kona, at mile marker 100 (on Hwy 11) I started hearing the frogs. I think they are at the transfer station, and about the next 5 miles I could still hear them. Maybe they're on their way to Kona.

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".