Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home security cameras
I know this topic has been discussed but I'm having a hard time finding the right info for a beginner. Questions...

I'm talking about a simple system - 4 cameras (2 indoor 2 outdoor)...what's the best bang for your buck camera wise? Resolution and night vision.

Is DVR better than web recording? Basically, if someone knows you have a system, why not cut the power line? Or just steal the DVR and there is no recorded images. Can you do both? Hook the system up to a DVR and backup on the web automatically (cloud) so you don't have a problem when someone steals the DVR too. I know the idea is to hide the DVR, but any real criminal should be able to find it under the floor joists of a post and pier house boxed up like a sore thumb.

Can you buy 4 cameras that you like, a separate DVR that you like, connect to the internet and not have compatibility issues?

I'm just starting to do my online research on this and will let you know what I find. But if you have a good place to start or suggestions I would appreciate it.

I bought the ~$300 DVR system at Costco and have been happy with it. If I had to do it again, I would buy the ~$600 HD version.

I used the camera to weed out the false alarms generated by my monitored alarm system. I put the DVR in the attic and used a computer UPS system ~$70 so that it would record without power for a short time. Almost all systems now can report movement via email and allow remote monitoring with phone apps. I was always the first to know when a gecko or moth was prowling my cameras.

During the one burglary I had, before I installed the cameras a couple of years ago, the power meter was pried off and the Internet connection was pulled out externally. My alarm system has a cell card and battery backup, so I did get a call. I would recommend having a camera facing your drive-up entrance and another covering the location of your utility hookups.

Now that I have moved here and work from home, this isn't as much of a concern anymore.
I know Costco has them cheaper, but I love my Lorex Technology system. Check them out. 8 cameras under 1000$ complete with "the works"!
This is a condensed version of my reply on this subject in June:

Our system is now a 1-1/2 years out of date, Q-See QC804NVR4Channel 2TB - 2 neighbors have & our range overlaps, so the 4 channel is not to bad for a nice chunk of our corner area coverage

2TB gives ~10days H D 4Channelcoverage.

We haven't really used the IP, once for a neighbor who was out of town, but have no idea what they saw...

It is a "plug & play" to a point, every thing is mouse & menu...camera install would be based on your location (we have eave raceways, so real easy to run the cables & place system way out of sight and not easy access for most.

Our system really works because there is system overlap & a semi alert dog... Not sure I would want to totally rely on 4 channels, & even on 1 recorder...there are always the what ifs...

Daytime, we can read the license of our neighbors car in the drive across the street (Nighttime B/W resolution is good, but not as high, mainly due to the color limits)
The old youtube on the system that explains things like the notification & zoom features, sold us on it (and the complete system was under a thousand normally...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lji4ce6gZuI

And it was on sale & with us buying 2 systems we were able to get even more of a break, even though that was 1 1/2 yrs ago...cannot imagine that electronics like this going UP in price!):

quote:
Originally posted by Kenney

I know Costco has them cheaper, but I love my Lorex Technology system. Check them out. 8 cameras under 1000$ complete with "the works"!

Who installed it for you?
Is there a local tech company to help.

I am not tech savvy at all and would need someone to set it up for me.
Anyone have recommenda.