Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best resources for history of Pahoa?
Any recommended reliable sources, links, books, etc. would be appreciated.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Maybe the only source...."PAHOA YESTERDAY". By Hiroo Sato. It should be at the Pahoa library.

I have a signed copy.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Found some stuff on line by Hiroo Sato. Will check out that book. Thank you!
Tim

http://historicpahoa.com
Thanks SBH, I checked that out.

The late Hiroo Sato did a great job documenting history from the Issei, Nisei perspective.

Anyone know of Hawaiian history, I assume it would be captured in chants and stories? I believe Opihikao has shared stories.

From wikipedia (not that I trust it, so please feel free to correct if you find any inaccuracies):

"In the Hawaiian language, the word "Pahoa" means dagger or knife. It is unknown when the indigenous Hawaiians settled the area during pre-contact times, but the deep, rich soil and important protected archeological sites in the area suggest a long history of habitation. Legends associated with the Pahoa area are referenced in Hawaii's ancient oral history, i.e., in the Pele and Hi'iaka Myth." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pahoa,_Hawaii)

Do anyone know why Pahoa got its name?

Any other interesting historical tidbits about Pahoa? I'll bet Pahoa in the 80s and 90s was an interesting place...
Tim

There is a book called Cabinetmakers of Hawaii or something like that. It has info about the lumber mill and related items. Another book about Railroads of Hawaii (don't remember exact name)has info about the trains that hauled cane and timber. The old RR turnaround is still there in Pahoa behind Luiquins and Pahoa Puna Buy and Sell. The mules that turned the cars were pastured where the new park is being developed, and their route ran through what is now the community center parking lot. Both of the above-mentioned books have bibliographies, which might be helpful. Also, check with Lyman House Museum in Hilo's archives.
David Malo's Hawaiian Antiquities is a great general source of Hawaiian History.
Here's a link to a pdf copy courtesy of the Bishop Museum.
http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/pubs-online/pdf/sp2.pdf

There's probably not a lot of info specific to Pahoa, and unfortunately the pdf doesn't appear to be searchable.
Page 91 is a chapter titled "Life in the Out-districts."
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Predating the village of Pahoa, as best I know, there was a Hawaiian village located just south of Pahoa. The name of that village was Kaniahiku.

There is some mention of the local Hawaiians by a missionary who wrote of his travel on foot through the area.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments. Am following up on your leads!

Interesting about the town of Kaniahiku. Tried googling but couldn't find much.

Rob, do you by chance know where/how I could locate the writings by that missionary you mentioned?
Tim

"Land and Power in Hawaii" is another historical book worth a read.

I've come across railroad tracks, found sake and "Pahoa Soda Factory" bottles, remnants of campsites and trails, and seen groves of old growth ohia clustered (cut and regrown).

aloha
aloha