Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELCO Residential rate drops almost 20%
There is no absolute electric rate but the past two years have been about 42 cents per kilowatt-hour for residential. Now, from December 2014 to January 2015, it has decreased to 33 cents per kilowatt-hour.
http://www.hawaiianelectric.com/vcmconte...EC2014.pdf
The collapse in oil prices has resulted in the decrease of Hawaii electric rates, far exceeding the decrease that was hoped for with alternative energy sources. The electric rate should decrease even more over the next several months, as Hawaiian Electric starts getting more oil from lower price Mexico than long time Indonesian and south east Asia suppliers. The biggest whine of Hawaii gets some cheese.

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Sorry Ted but I think it's more pf a PR campaign to make some people feel better. Please let us know if your overall bill actually goes down because ELCO has been tirelessly working to shift fees from energy use to guaranteed rates whether or not you use any power.
If you think HELCO is really charging less for your power...well I have a bridge you might want to buy.
So you’ve finally made the switch to solar and are free from Hawaii’s sky-high electricity rates.

If you’re lucky, you now pay only a small monthly fee to Hawaiian Electric Co. for allowing you to keep your solar system hooked up to their electric grids on Oahu, the Big Island or Maui County. The grids act as battery storage for your solar system and allow you to draw electricity from HECO when the sun isn’t shining, while you feed excess solar energy back into the grid during the day.

But is your solar system driving up costs for the rest of Hawaii’s electric customers?

HECO says it is. The utility says it’s time to talk about whether solar system owners need to pay the utility more to help cover its operating costs.

“Today, the costs are not fairly allocated to all customers,” said Scott Seu, HECO’s vice president for energy resources and operations, during the final meeting of a 68-member community advisory group convened to assist the utility in coming up with long-term energy plans.

As more people switch to solar to escape electricity rates that are three times the national average, the rest of HECO’s customers could see their rates go up, the utility says. That’s because there will be fewer ratepayers left on the grid to cover HECO’s fixed costs.

“People are opting out of escalating rates,” said Seu. “It is mostly people that can afford to opt out. So you have a situation where the people who are stranded are going to be increasingly burdened with carrying the (utility’s costs).”

But many solar industry and environmental advocates have never bought that line of reasoning.

Mark Duda, a principal at Honolulu-based RevoluSun, said that there’s no evidence to support the claim.

“This is an empirical question and the way you answer this question is not just by asserting these people are screwing these people and conversely, not by saying everything is just fine — you have to actually study it,” he said.

Isaac Moriwake, an attorney with Earthjustice, and a member of the energy advisory group, said switching to solar reduces the utility’s overall fuel and transmission costs, which can ultimately reduce rates for the rest of customers.

He said HECO needs to move away from a business model where it generates the power and distributes it over a transmission system it owns. The utility needs to find a way for other power generators — like individual rooftop solar — to fit more easily into the overall energy picture.

“For a utility stuck on that antiquated business model, rooftop solar is a threat, especially in a utility regulatory model where they get profits out of how much stuff they build,” said Moriwake.

Seu said that HECO doesn’t have the authority to raise fees for solar customers. That’s something that would have to be picked up by the Legislature and Public Utilities Commission. But he said that it’s a discussion that needs to happen.

http://www.civilbeat.com/2013/07/19488-h...-share-of/
yep. just make new "fees" instead. reminds me of california and their proposition 13 tax relief. they could only raise the "tax" so much per year but they could have endless bonds on their bill. my mom had 21 bond "fees" while her tax rate was supposedly locked in. all a game... suck as much money out of the consumer as possible. my kilowatt useage has gone down down down while my bill has steadily gone up.. shame on the PUC for this game.
Having the grid act as your battery bank has always been the easy way to go solar. Now that they got you all locked in and the grid tie fees are on the rise... Gotcha!
quote:
Originally posted by steve1

Sorry Ted but I think it's more pf a PR campaign to make some people feel better. Please let us know if your overall bill actually goes down because ELCO has been tirelessly working to shift fees from energy use to guaranteed rates whether or not you use any power.
If you think HELCO is really charging less for your power...well I have a bridge you might want to buy.

No, HELCO doesn't make press statements about rate decreases. They have to go the PUC for rate increases but there is no requirement for rate decreases. Their connection fee is a small part of the total consumption bill so your statement above is nonsense, well, the whole paragraph TBH.

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
customer charge
base fuel energy charge
non fuel energy charge
energy cost adjustment
pbf surcharge
purchased power adjustment charge
rba rate adjustment charge
green infrastructure fee

actually these can easily add up to more than your kilowatt charge...
@lquade 14:16:32
Yes they can if you rigorously restrain your actual usage of power.
I think utilities may be making a big mistake by not making themselves
energy management companies rather than self contained producers and
distributors. Technology and reality are against the traditional model.