Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need computer repair
I need the fan and heat sink cleaned on my laptop PC. In searching, I find The Computer Store in Hilo and not much else. Anybody have any reviews of this place? I need my computer for work and don't want to jeopardize it with shoddy service, plus I need it done fast. I hover between broke and flat broke so price matters as well. I thought I might do the job myself but then I checked YouTube and it is way beyond my level of expertise. Anyway, anything you care to share will be appreciated. Mahalo!

I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
In most cases, you can simply buy a can of air and spray it into the fan opening to clean it out. Otherwise you may have to open the case to get at the heat sink.
I agree with leilanidude, just try a can of air first.
Unplug (don't just turn off) the computer before you open the side panel. The two or three fans inside should be easily accessible.

I took my computer in to the Computer Store a few years ago, they said the repair would take a week, it was over a month before I got it back.
If you take it there, make sure you have them sign something with guaranteed pick up date.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Honestly I would be cautious in popping open a laptop. There are a lot of small goodies in there. I too would try a canned air spray first. Also if it is overheating,I would consider a laptop cooler to put it on.
If you already have overheating problems cleaning the heat sink and fan may not be enough (the fan may be dying AKA not spinning fast enough). But I agree with the others, spray canned air in there first. I had a laptop with the same problem and cleaning it didn't help (the fan was dying). I found the part number for the fan and they wanted a ridiculous amount of money for same size replacement so I wound up getting a larger PC fan powered by USB that I hot glued to the bottom of the PC where the fan hole was (on the exterior) after removing the defective fan. In my case having a "portable" or "doesn't look ghetto" laptop wasn't an issue as its only purpose was monitoring a security camera and it was shoved into a closet. It has worked great and the fan was like $6 with free shipping plus about 30 minutes of my labor.
Go to The Computer Store ... They are VERY GOOD ! Priced fair and honest !!! I cannot say enuf about these guys.

Have had to deal with several things + use they temp internet when did not want to deal with library.

Now on your computer ... I know NOTHING but mine was getting hot too and I knew ( based on a conversation with the folks above ) it was only a matter of time.

A checklist to hopefully prolong the life of your unit. Which BTW, sounds like its going down slowly. And may have been damaged beyond repair. Sorry : (

Make sure battery not over charging !!! It will GET HOT !! Take it out and try to see how computer runs. Leave any cover plate off as well.

Prop the computer base OFF the desk with rear a little higher if possible. Use those mercury laced Tuna Cans for something.

If possible part 2, put it next to a window so it gets cool breeze on it.

If it sits on the desk all day, just take the whole back off or remove a few screws and prop the case halves open.

I know above sounds nutz but it really works if your unit running hot ... You would be surprised how much faster it works when its cool.

And in this time ...I recommend NOT procrastinating on backing /saving data.

aloha,
pog