Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism?
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

As far as keeping things country, aren't all of the poor folks coming to homestead in Puna closer to the traditional Hawaiian lifestyle than the tourists and mcmansion builders? I like the idea of Puna staying the way it is, live and let live, and a little on the wild side, and just adding parks and infrastructure that improves that country lifestyle. Also further reducing onerous regulations on building and home businesses that are more suited to high-density cities.

Computer education, support, and startup incubation is something that can be done anywhere, so I like that idea too. That would prevent some brain-drain from the island, as anyone interested could find like-minded people and employment locally or online. It also results in net income to the island, rather than people outsourcing their IT needs.

Another thing I see missing from Hawaii in general is boating. Why doesn't Puna embrace all the luxury yachts, divers, sports fishermen, and round-the-world sailors with some (floating?) docks and marinas? One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen is St Thomas' bay, full of hundreds of sailboats and yachts. All those people could be paying a modest fee for mooring, while dining, fueling up, and purchasing provisions from Puna businesses. Buying rides from local residents via some local equivalent of uber or lyft. Maybe even providing alternate means of travel to and from the islands.

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

Another thing I see missing from Hawaii in general is boating. Why doesn't Puna embrace all the luxury yachts, divers, sports fishermen, and round-the-world sailors with some (floating?) docks and marinas? One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen is St Thomas' bay, full of hundreds of sailboats and yachts. All those people could be paying a modest fee for mooring, while dining, fueling up, and purchasing provisions from Puna businesses. Buying rides from local residents via some local equivalent of uber or lyft. Maybe even providing alternate means of travel to and from the islands.

Random speaking as the owner of a yacht I can attest. Any marina in Hawaii would be packed instantly. The problem is Puna's coast line drops off so fast that building a break wall isn't feasible. Accept in Kapoho and that would not be practical since everyone would rather preserve tidal pools. Only very large boats could safely moor and take waves on an average day. I have seen near 30-40 ft waves pound homes in Kehena Beach. Look how high the homes are up the cliff. Waves have hit deck leveks

Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
"Another thing I see missing from Hawaii in general is boating. Why doesn't Puna embrace all the luxury yachts, divers, sports fishermen, and round-the-world sailors with some (floating?) docks and marinas? One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen is St Thomas' bay, full of hundreds of sailboats and yachts. All those people could be paying a modest fee for mooring, while dining, fueling up, and purchasing provisions from Puna businesses. Buying rides from local residents via some local equivalent of uber or lyft. Maybe even providing alternate means of travel to and from the islands".

Well, I am a caribeno, raised in the smooth waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
Puna side for sailboats and boats, and yachts?

Sorry to bust your bubble, but this side, Puna, with the rough waves make it impossible for all of the above.

That's why they are all in the Kona side, where smooth waves make it possible for cruises like that.
I have owned 50 footer yachts, and Puna side is a Dramamine kind of place.
Just look at the poor tourists leaving Pohoiki for a lava viewing, all strapped in, facing our waves, going up and down.
You were in St Thomas. Can you compare the two oceans?
No way in hell this side will ever be a sailboat, yacht cruising area!
LOL

punalvr
punalvr
It's a Lee Shore, Matey!
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

imwithstoopid-
You can also check on the top right of the page to see if you're logged in. Sometimes, if your browser saves your login and password, that information will appear on your screen, but you may need to press LOGIN again.

[Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin]
Well, I'll be derned, twas that I believed what it said,[:0]"logged in".
Clicked login and by George it worked, who ever that is/was.
Mahalo mia amigos, or whatever passes for thanks, ah perhaps Thank you all.

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

quote:
Originally posted by punalvr

No way in hell this side will ever be a sailboat, yacht cruising area!

Are the waters too rough in Hilo Bay as well? I see boats in Reed's bay, but most of Hilo bay seems empty. Seems like that could be expanded or improved. Heck they fit cruise ships through there.

Boat's only have to be evacuated from Reed's Bay every 2 or 3 years when a norther comes through. Also; only a couple of boats get washed ashore onto the rocks every few years. Happy Yachting! It's mostly a delightful anchorage.
Random before I purchased my sailboat I met with the official in charge of those sailboats near Hilo in Reeds bay. He said he could fit me in back then.

However,

1.I bought a big sailboat
2. I wanted to run commercial operation.

Zero commercial are allowed.

Hilo bay is fantastic opportunity for anyone willing to accept 5 main risks.

1. You must leave immediately 24/7 if there is very large earthquake in Puna. About one 7-8 every 25 years or so.

2. You must leave within a few hours for big a earthquakes along mainland.

3. During rare big blows when waves top the breakwall, you need good ground tackle, mooring, or a mooring.

4. The water in the bay is filled with MRSA. It is best to leave when cleaning the hull.

5. Don't disturb the hammerheads. The first time they see you they are just curious. The fifth time they might remember they are hungry too.

Most of Hilo bay is already devoted to paddle clubs and commercial access. Surfers near river.

So the marina is best situated up against the breakwall. This limits space to a single row. People would have to either walk along wall or kayak/row to town. I would ban dinghies because of wakes to paddlers.

Now, do you know any sailor that would accept these terms?

I would in a heart beat.

It would allow me to come home.
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing