Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving Sale or Shipping?
I am going to be moving back to the mainland in a short while and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? It seems as though it's going to cost me $5,000.00 to get my household goods back and I think I could probably buy mostly brand new for that amount. Do you know of anything cheaper? If a sale is my only option, does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep from "giving everything away?" I have nice beds, furniture, etc. and would like to sell a package deal. If you know of anyone that is moving over in the next couple of months or needs to furnish a rental, please have them contact me. Midwest, here I come! Thanks everyone. Smile

When we moved here (from the midwest!)We shipped most of our stuff by parcel post (4-6 weeks shipping time). We obviously did not ship big furniture items, but we wanted lighter/breezier stuff & had had for almost 2 decades, so it ws time for a sale (& we did give away a bunch, but had a friend who was starting over & really could use what we had....) have you looked into van packs (wood crates) or container sharing if you decide to ship?

krefty50
couple tricks I've done, DIY, wooden palettes are free many places and used plyboard or t1-11 I get from a heap of recycling efforts. At Hilo Port and San Pedro and Oakland I have built palette and plywood containers on the dock ,loaded them from my truck and sealed it, they loaded it on the boat. Last one from Oakland to here was on a one palette 4x4. w/5 sheets 1/4 plywood, few hundred bucks a crate this way. If your furniture isn't heirloom or antiques, sell em, give em away toss in the recycle bin?
Cubic foot wise it's difficult to containerize your life and issue priorities to your possessions. How lucky we with all our stuff.

I bet you have a punaweb yardsale you'll sell out, try begining of a month when everyone has money. I used to go to yardsales, had to quit, I got too much stuff. So now when people come to my house I make sure they take something with them. lol

I hope you're going back for love and not money, otherwise my 2 cents you can have for free.
aloha
On one move I went to flea markets, yard sale and 2nd hand shops to collect 36 trunks and foot lockers. Packed each one or two with a room or a theme,(all framed pictures/towels in between) then you can stack trunks as high as any container and they're not going to crush. Because trunks were made for moving not boxes.

P.S. oh yea, need some trunks? what color is your sofa?

Krefty50, sorry to hear you're leaving us Smile

I'd try selling your stuff on Hawaii Craigslist, this link narrows it down to the Big Island:
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big

There are also frequent ads on HI Craigslist for folks looking to share containers too & from the mainland. Here's a quick link to search for 'container':
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/search/ss...=container
There are a few recent-ish posts about contianer shares & I see them pretty frequently.

I'm right in the middle of doing the exact reverse (container from mainland to Hilo). Email me off-forum & I can share my experience, as well as the shipper I'm having problems with at the moment (and would recommend you avoid).

Smile Erin

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
Whaddya got? We might be in the market for a bed, sofa, or other living room furnishings.

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
I have a queen sized bed that I paid $2,000.00 for, a bunk bed with a futon on the bottom I paid $700.00 for, sage green sofa and loveseat, a full sized bed (okay but nothing to brag about)a light brown lazy boy I paid $800.00 for, coffee table and end tables, 27" 19" and 13" tv's, couple dressers, entertainment centers, solid oak shelf, patio set, small table and 2 chairs and some other small kine stuff. I told Cat I would like to sell the whole thing as a package for $2,000.00 and she wanted first dibs but needed some things sooner. I guess follow up with her to see if she would still want the stuff. I have waterproof mattress covers on all and have since I bought them, so there is no drool, kiddie accidents or....sweat. GET YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER! Smile We are going back for the kids, not the money. We came from a small town that was super safe and everything was at your fingertips. Never realized what we gave up until we got over here. If it were just my husband and I, we would love to stay, but the kids need more. They want to be involved in T-ball, soccer, swim team, etc. It has been a wonderful experience and I loved every minute of it. Thanks for all of your suggestions!