Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OHA Votes to Rescind Their Support for the TMT
dakine - I bet the local union labor people from Goodfellow Bros. construction company aren't totally pleased about not being able to work on the project. They are the ones being kept from doing the site prep.

For some, telescope is opportunity

Native Hawaiians in support of the project see jobs and a link with voyagers of old

By Jennifer Sinco Kelleher / Associated Press

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/20150...unity.html

snipped:

"Before going up to Mauna Kea's summit on Hawaii island, Heather Kaluna makes an offering to Poli­ahu, the snow goddess of the mountain. She holds it sacred, as do other Native Hawaiians.

The mountain holds another important place in her life: Poised to be the first Native Hawaiian to get an astronomy doctorate from the University of Hawaii, she uses the mountain to gaze at the stars.

The two aspects of her identity have collided as protests have erupted in recent weeks over the construction of one of the world's largest telescopes atop the mountain, pitting her against many in her community and even her own family.

"It's definitely hard not to feel torn," said Kaluna, 31. "I respect their beliefs, but at the same time, I think there are a lot of voices not being heard at the moment."
Okay, thanks, there was a referendum (or ballot initiative) and the people of the Big Island voted in favor of more development.
Do you think it would be any different now, more than 20 years later? I doubt it. But the protestors, many of whom are from other islands, don't care what the majority of the Big Island wants.

Dakine, please define "newcomer".
The Hapuna Prince is great and I am very happy it didn't get blocked. What a wonderful addition to the area. I wonder if those who protested it in the 90's now realize that it wasn't worth protesting. Or if they ever snuck into the pool? Wink Or do they boycott it to this day on the grounds of evilness?

Perhaps the protests led to modifications in the development that are part of it's wonder...? That'd be cool.

Did the OHA chime in on the development at the time?

Cheers,
Kirt
Kirt, yes I protested hapuna prince back in the day. I do remember hapuna before and after the resort was added to one half of the beach. I have gone swimming in the pool once or twice. Yet to pay for a meal prepared at the resort, or spend a night at the hapuna prince resort to this day. Many good memories eating Doi store bacon burgers served with aloha, shared with monkeys, and then worked off by coach Manny paddling.

Jmo, The hapuna resort may have helped change or make a difference to how life was going to be lived on that gold coast forever? Very few locals like the Ruddle family living down there now, many rich mainland people now buy lots for millions that sold for a couple hundred just 35 years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Jmo, The hapuna resort may have helped change or make a difference to how life was going to be lived on that gold coast forever? Very few locals like the Ruddle family living down there now, many rich mainland people now buy lots for millions that sold for a couple hundred just 35 years ago.

Keep singing those Waimanalo Blues...