Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hwy 130 Update - Pahoa Bypass and Light at Shower
Lights at all major intersections is the way to go, first Shower and eventually we will get down to Post Office road (in about 20 years).

Wrong.

Traffic signals do not help traffic move smoother or faster. They bunch traffic up and create more accidents. Plus, with the lack of intelligence in the local traffic engineering division, it will make the traffic slowdowns worse.
I and many others in OCLA use Laniuma to Puhaku Place just North of Kaloli. North of that is a curve and southbound traffic is obscured from sight. It is very dangerous getting Hilo bound and there are seldom traffic breaks. Gratefully a short suicide merge lane if you can get into it alive. I for one shall be grateful for a light at Shower as it'll give some relief in that there will be a traffic break in the southbound lane during the red so we who use Puhaku Place can get across into the Hilo-bound lane.
I love how the 2 lanes from Shower to Keaau went from 55 to 45. So this "improvement" actually slowed down all traffic the 90%+ of the time that it isn't morning commute hours.
The distance from Shower Dr to Keaau Transfer station is a little under two miles.
Driving 2 miles at 55 mph takes about 2 minutes and 11 seconds.
Driving 2 miles at 45 mph takes about 3 minutes.
Since the actual distance is under 2 miles, the drive on that stretch of road is about 40 seconds longer.
If you drive the posted speed limit.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Dropping the speed limit has the unintended effect of causing the existing traffic to bunch up even more since a 55mph zone can carry more traffic per hour than a 45mph zone.
I've been passed several times going 50 be cars in the shoulder lane pahoa bound outside of its open hours. People go 55 or better Hilo bound. Very few drive the posted 45 miles an hour. No enforcement as usual. But elsewhere, like 130 past pahoa, often see 2 and 3 cop cars driving around in tandem doing apparently nothing other than just driving around together. Makes one wonder.
Amirta, when cops go out on calls they always bring along a buddy in case things get ugly.

By the way, Right lane is for passing only, Slower traffic should move to the left lane... Smile Always fun to say that here. Just go with the flow and make sure you have someone behind you, prevents cops from pulling a U-turn to come and nab you.
quote:
Originally posted by Amrita

I've been passed several times going 50 be cars in the shoulder lane pahoa bound outside of its open hours. People go 60 or better Hilo bound. Very few drive the posted 45 miles an hour. No enforcement as usual. But elsewhere, like 130 past pahoa, often see 2 and 3 cop cars driving around in tandem doing apparently nothing other than just driving around together. Makes one wonder.

FIXT [Smile]
Puna: Our roosters crow first