Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venus and Jupiter this evening
It was certainly something I was taught as a student, but this is science, as we learn things theories and ideas change, usually subtly (like this one about Jupiter) and occasionally rather more abruptly (the evidence that the universe is not only continuing to expand, but actually accelerating continues to befuddle me), but we go with the evidence. The stuff I posted about Jupiter hasn't actually been confirmed, it comes from some rather extensive computer modelling, and am happy to share the references if anyone is interested.

It also seems Jupiter might have prevented so-called super earths forming in the solar system. We see those objects orbiting other stars but not our sun. Jupiter may be the reason:

http://astronomynow.com/2015/03/25/wande...ar-system/

It's not conclusive and there may be selection effects in play here (i.e., it's much easier to detect more massive exoplanets than earth-sized planets), but it's interesting stuff.

I realize we're getting way off Puna stuff here, but think it's good that people have an idea of what they're looking at and how significant it might be to our existence.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

the evidence that the universe is not only continuing to expand, but actually accelerating continues to befuddle me

Oh, good. That annoying fact has been confusing me since I first read it. I'm glad it makes little sense to the professionals either. For those that wonder what practical use there is to astronomy, it's this sort of thing: every time physicists get relaxed and complacent and thinking they more or less have things all worked out, astronomers peer a little farther, point at something inexplicable like this, and shoo them off to giddily explore a new mystery.
Lodestone,

I like your opinion, but most astronomers these days are astrophysicists or physicists. The battle is between astronomers (experimental physicists) and theoretical (astro)physicists. [Wink]

Jeez, physicist is hard to spell three or four times in a row...
I too find that fact particularly annoying. I used to picture the Universe expanding, expanding, slowing down, stopping, contracting, contracting, becoming one dense ball and then big banging again. So neat and tidy.

I'll have to read more about Jupiter, it could be the key to the big question.
There is still so much to learn about the universe, our home, but a few are determined to stop that exploration at the expense of so many people's future.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Lodestone,

I like your opinion, but most astronomers these days are astrophysicists or physicists. The battle is between astronomers (experimental physicists) and theoretical (astro)physicists. [Wink]

Ah. So confounding observations literally have you talking to yourselves, then.[Smile]