Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuff in space
There's some info missing here. I'm not entirely sure how they know the composition of the exoplanets other than they must be rocky. Guess I'll have to read the actual paper (which is never a bad thing to do).

Many years ago a group I worked for at The University of Nottingham published a paper that was a bit of a game changer for the field we were working in. The source of spectral features called diffuse interstellar bands had been a mystery for 60 years then, and there were arguments about whether they were due to molecules in the gas-phase or dust grains. Our work was fairly conclusive in showing they were gas-phase molecules, and our understanding of the interstellar medium (i.e., the space between stars) would be better understood.

We wrote a press release that had to go through the university's PR dept. When it came back, we learned that we had discovered a star that had been missing for 60 years. That was a surprise and shows how science is rarely reported correctly, even in press releases.

In case you're curious, the paper is here:

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/....283L.105K

I was the lead author, but that abstract still makes my head hurt...
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/....283L.105K

I was the lead author, but that abstract still makes my head hurt...

!!!

with my astrophysicist jargon dictionary in hand, this will be great for some light reading to pass the time. lol
quote:
Originally posted by TomK: We wrote a press release that had to go through the university's PR dept. When it came back, we learned that we had discovered a star that had been missing for 60 years. That was a surprise and shows how science is rarely reported correctly, even in press releases.
I can assure you that's been my experience with police incidents reported in the media. There were times when the media reports of incidents I was personally involve in required serious effort to reconcile that media report with the actual incident. This even when there was no intended bias by the media.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Fortunately, in most instances when I've had to deal with the media about a scientific news story, they have made the changes I asked for (because it was factual information). Even after publication. It's not right to change a journalist's opinion, though, so know where to draw the line.

I can imagine that when it comes to reporting incidents involving the police and the law, it's a whole different story. I don't think I'd fancy that, but then you just get on with the job. The odd time the media refused to correct an article that involved my work that's how I approached it. Annoying and frustrating, but not world-changing. Still, those few events changed my opinion about journalists forever.
Obviously inaccurate media reports with the potential of a Ferguson excepted, the inaccuracies are generally harmless and are considered the norm and just fodder for a few laughs. Actual accurate media reports are a rarity. I just assumed the inaccurate reporting I'm familiar with was the norm in most all media reporting and read every story from that perspective.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Thank you for the explanation. That was my first guess, but wanted to be sure! Plus I like your descriptions, and look what we learned from Oink!

Alohas
You know, I love watching science documentaries, Nova is always a favorite (but I adore those BBC wildlife documentaries with David Attenborough). However, when I watch a Nova show about something I know a little about, there are generally three or four things the narrator will say during the episode that make me cringe. In addition, some of the clips they show of scientists working are staged. I remember watching an episode many years ago where they showed a bunch of astronomers in the control room of an observatory in the Canary Isles. They were about to start an observation of something (I forget what) and preceded the observation with an official countdown. Sorry, no, we don't do that. We leave that sort of thing to NASA.

Watching news stories about science can be hilarious while also quite frustrating. Still can't forget some CNN news reporter telling the viewers and I that comets come to us from the edge of the universe. Hell, they travel a lot faster than I realized...