Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excellent Banana Bread Recipe!
My favorite banana bread recipe!! I love making this with the bananas that grow in our yard on a rainy night like this one:

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 1/2 cup butter
* 3/4 cup brown sugar
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 2 1/3 cups mashed overripe banana

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs, ginger and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Fold in walnuts. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

Serve warm with whipped butter.

"How do you know i am mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the cat "or you wouldnt have come here."
Mmmm! The ginger looks like a lovely addition to banana bread that I haven't tried yet. Do you think a bit of cinnamon would go good with this recipe?

We almost had about forty pounds of bananas the day before Thanksgiving, but the tree fell the wrong way and went over the cliff. Wah! Next bunch of bananas, I'll try this recipe.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
I'm not personally a big cinnamon fan, which is why I like to use ginger. But I have added clove and nutmeg around Christmas time for a nice change from traditional fruitcake....

Hey I wonder how that crystalized ginger would be in that recipe. I like the ginger idea too. Yum.

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

“Some people bring happiness ‘wherever’ they go, others - ‘whenever’ they go.” - Oscar Wilde
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
hi lotus,

great recipe....i usually add whatever fruit that complements the bananas which is practically anything....right now i'm using alot of apples from our apple trees since they are practically falling on the ground....also use alot of pineapple guavas - wonder if that grows on the big island?

noel

How did you know I was sitting here with choke bananas?

So, I'm going to make another batch of banana bread, only this time, I think I'm going to try adding some orange essence to the mix, what do you all think? My other thought was dried coconut....