Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zero Turn Mower recommendations please!
Hello Punatics!

Greetings from Hamakua! I have 6 acres, of which 3 acres or so is mowed. I am looking for some recommendations for a Zero Turn Mower. It needs to be able to deal with some pretty good hills, wet grass, lots of Guinea Grass on the edges trying to move in along with Bashful grass. Anyone have any good or bad experience with mower brands. Leaning towards Husqvarna or Scag.

Fire away with the recommendations....also if anyone is selling a used one, let me know!

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
Go for a more commercial model rather than the residential cheapie, with a v-twin and at least 22+hp. Also look for a mower that will actually continue mowing when you go in reverse - some don't. That will help you be able to clear out a clog.
Ditto on LeilaniDude's recommendations. If it is really hilly and quite a bit of side slope mowing take good note of the wheel track width to height of equipment, with consideration of where heaviest components center of gravity is hopefully in the lower 50% range of height. If the specs give maximum slope, be sure to do the homework. Tire traction is another consideration, can always fill the rear tires with water for extra lower ground weight.
If not, try to get dealer "on sight consultation", or a "try out" to see if it will do what you expect. I have done side slope work where I was going more downhill sideways than it seems forward where I couldn't fit a business card between my cheeks, but still completed the job. I now prefer jobs where I won't spill my "road soda"!

Community begins with Aloha
yeah, I know 22 will be the min, we live at 2200 ft elevation with a pretty good grade to the land. No Home Depot crappers for me.

I was recently looking at the exact same brands. For my place in mtn view with a couple acres of grass. I was factoring in grass catchers and a shade roof as well. The scags were about 9K, and the husqvarnas about 4.5K. Seemed like the scag's were better built and would last longer, as well as faster. Scag also offers 0% financing over 48 months. i would like to get a scag, but i wonder if it's worth the extra cost?
Will it last longer than 2 Huskies?

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
good question. not sure about the answer. the scag's run on diesel. not sure about the husky.

i've see the toro's around too. they have a nice, fully enclosed seating area.