Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
garden fungus / ohia die-off correlation?
I heard recently that it is a type of "rust" that is killing the Ohia? Is that true? Well I've noticed in the past year or so, (about the same timing as the ohia die-off) that our gardens are really struggling with a fungus that I think I heard someone call Septoria or aka rust. The leaves turn yellow or brown from with gray patches underneath the leaves. Eventually they all fall off and die and the plant dies. Neem does not seem to be effective at all when used to battle this problem. The rust affects my peppers, beans, squash, moringa and many more.
Nope not a rust, remember, correlation is not equal to causation
"Nope not a rust, remember, correlation is not equal to causation"

HUH!

Does that mean my age is NOT caused by the matching parallel increase in the use of Kitty litter since 1948, (or vice versa depending upon what I am trying to prove)?
So then banning Kitty litter will not keep me from getting older?

hi Elysan
Its a different fungus for both

you probably have sooty mold

call the master gardener office for advice or ck here

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/PD-52.pdf
aloha

Dan D
HPP

HPP
'rust' is what slowly killed off most all of the Rose Apple Trees in last 10 years here in Puna and beyond... it also affects other trees in the same Myrtle family, like Ohia, Guava, Mt Apple, etc., but seems to affect Ohia more often but rarely fatal, it just makes the leaves funky.. rust is a bright yellow orange powder that usually forms on the new growth.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestry/dis..._rust.html

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
ps neem is a stinky oil, it will affect animals (usually not plants fungus, etc.), and will usually only repel, unless the oil actually suffocates the bug etc.
when they say neem is good for powdery or sooty mildew its because the mildew is made by bugs (grows on the bug crap)

CTAHR told me several years ago that my mango blossoms turned black and failed to mature into fruit because of the ohia rust on my ohia trees. I chopped down the mango tree as unable to treat for the rust as it was so big. Now no mango tree but I still have my ohia trees and the rust mold is still on them. FWIW...
We have fungus amung us?
Thanks bananahead and Dan! I've seen the sooty mold though and that is different. It's a different beast entirely. I'm pretty sure it's septoria affecting the garden or maybe a variation of it.