Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First snow of the season
Any chance this cold and wet weather could have a positive effect on the big islands dengue virus outbreak? This current dengue outbreak on the big island may be the worst outbreak america has ever had, certainly Hawaii's worst outbreak.
Thanks for the summit pictures they are always breath takingly beautiful. It does Look like Hawaii may be blessed with some left over snow and ice for Christmas.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Any chance this cold and wet weather could have a positive effect on the big islands dengue virus outbreak?

Hey Gypsy? Ask yourself this~ Do mosquitos prefer hot and dry weather or do they prefer cold and wet weather? Have you been reading about the role standing water plays in this scenario? C`mon man?! Do you still think wet weather will have a positive impact on the dengue outbreak?
Lavalava, good morning to ya. Yes I am trying to be optimistic when asking If the Cold and wet weather Could be a blessing in disguise against the dengue virus outbreak. It(dengue) has been hitting a little to close to home during these holidays for much comfort. Love those pictures of snow and ice from the summit of Maunakea, also wouldn't mind to feel the cold winds in hilo through at least February this year.
To be fair all 'round and as a reality check, mosquitoes like it hot and wet, right? So the wetness is bad but the cold is good. Might be a wash. I would guess that the wet hurts more than the cold helps though because it never really gets that cold here. I have heard one opinion though that mosquitoes like still water so pouring rain might be bad for them, as long as it keeps up. There comes a time after rain though when everything is still and warming up so maybe rain will always bring more mosquitoes sooner or later.
"...Accu-Rite Professional Weather Center..."

Sounds like some fun and handy gadgetry.

Gorgeous calm, sunny, cool morning way up mauka today. Birds be chirping up a storm.
The calm before the storm. Big thunderstorms headed our way very shortly.
Yeah, checked satellite imagery, looks like some weather to the north and east of Puna right now. Drats, that could affect some plans for the afternoon. Thanks for the heads up.
PM2: "Birds be chirping up a storm"

Didn't expect that to develop literally.
More snow falling this evening at the summit, a bit heavier than previous nights. Temperatures are cold, so if skies are clear in the morning, the snow might stick around for a few hours and be visible from sea level. The moon's up for almost the entire night, so some of the MK cameras show the snow right now, the clearest seems to be from UKIRT at the moment:

http://www.eao.hawaii.edu/weather/images/ukirt.jpg
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

also wouldn't mind to feel the cold winds in hilo through at least February this year.

I hear Alaska has plenty of "cold winds" this time of year...