Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sports authority liquidating holdings
high amount of debt that they took on

Yes -- this trick doesn't work without a captive tax base that can always be counted upon to raise enough revenue to cover the debt.
The closing sale starts soon.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016.../84792816/
If anybody knows when the local store has real sales, please post here.
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...rity-close

Hilo store manager Chris Ellorin said the liquidation process could start as early as Friday and will almost certainly be underway by next week.
He added that conference calls with the corporate office indicate the company expects the liquidation process will extend through the end of August.

Three months to clear the store out? No wonder they are closing. If the sale was done right, it could be empty in 2 weeks.
The paper also says that a third party will be in charge of the liquidation and that they will decide the price cuts, if any.
Having lived through numerous "store closing, liquidation sales," my experience has been that they are more smoke and mirrors than actual sales. Prices are jacked up and then reduced so that they can justify the "70% Off!!!!" window banners. Also, junk that was never in the store before is brought in and sold at "rock bottom" prices that are no value when the quality of the product is considered. If you think you might be interested in the Sports Authority closeout "sale," go price your desired items now before the sale starts. Then compare the price to online prices from Amazon and other retailers to see if you are really getting a bargain when the "sale" begins...
I've found that usually you see 10% off storewide, then 15%, 20%, etc., until you get to 70% off. There's very few things in that store I want, except another pair of my favorite athletic shoes, so I'll go when it's near the end and see if they still have them and whether it's worth it. Sometimes, liquidations get to like 25% off, then everything is hauled out of there to be sold elsewhere. All depends on what the liquidation company wants to do.
Three months to clear the store out? ... If the sale was done right, it could be empty in 2 weeks.

They probably have a signed lease for their space in the mall, as well as other longer term financial commitments. It may not save them much money in the long run to close early, in fact there may be penalties if they do.

Oscar Wilde's Last Words: "Either this wallpaper goes, or I do."
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Shoes are the first to go.

Community begins with Aloha