Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are the whales being sighted?
Havent seen any off the SE coast but Hilo has had some great action so far mainly off the Richardsons area.

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures
My better half has the eagle-eye.

Wed. 01/09/2008
She saw spouting off ALA HEIAU and through bino's the back rolling under a few times. I saw the pointed out spouting but in the short interval of passing the bino's it was gone.

Our last sighting (it was also our first ever) was a year or so ago off Bodega Head in CA. She saw the spouting in a wind swept ocean just after a whale watching group quit for the day with no luck! It rolled around for about 5 minutes then poof!

Time will tell - I'm listening?
Time will tell - I should have been speaking?
Flying in to Hilo on Tuesday evening, 2/26, the pilot said that there were whales breeching. I looked down in time to see a Humpback leaping above the water's surface, almost getting its tail into the air. My guess is that they were about a half mile outside of the Hilo Bay breakwater.
We have been seeing whales off Richardson every day for about two weeks, usually mid afternoon, but also at other times. The spinner dolphins have been there daily as well.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Just spotted a couple of whales in Hilo Bay about an hour ago from 4 mile in Keaukaha. Hadn't seen any in weeks so it was a nice surprise.