Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native Hawaiians in support of TMT
I made the mistake of reading the comments made on this Hilo Tribune article:

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...-telescope

The article itself is fine but the comments are embarrassing. For those that have read that piece and wondered what strange universe they had moved into when reading the comments, I'll try and explain:

For decades there was a 24-inch telescope owned by the UHH which worked very well but became quite dated. It was used to train astronomy students. About a decade ago a decision was made to replace the while thing with a modern telescope and dome. Unfortunately, the company chosen to build both delivered a broken telescope which doesn't work, and the problem is so severe it can't be fixed onsite.

Please don't ask me about warranties or stuff like that as I have no connection with the project and know nothing about that.

However, before the new telescope was delivered, there was a perfectly good training telescope available to UH students. Now there isn't.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

About a decade ago a decision was made to replace the while thing with a modern telescope and dome. Unfortunately, the company chosen to build both delivered a broken telescope which doesn't work, and the problem is so severe it can't be fixed onsite.

Thanks, this really was a poorly written article. I found this story which helped http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...-mauna-kea

So there was an old 24" telescope from 1970. Then it was replaced with a broken one:

quote:
After several years of failed attempts by UH-Hilo to repair its 0.9-meter telescope, which was delivered inoperable, the news was almost devastating for astronomy faculty who were just about to buy a replacement and still hoped to salvage the project.

Now it is replaced again:

quote:
He said the new 0.7-meter telescope, which is being built by a separate company, likely will be delivered next summer[this summer].

And now it won't be installed because it is easy to put educational things on the chopping block.