Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dieing Ohias do not seem to meet definition of ROD
I have had several, and still have a few Ohias that are slowly dieing over months to years.
They begin losing their leaves near the bottom and it progresses up the tree until the leaves on the tips of the upper branches finally die off.
Only 1 or 2 of the trees might have gone quickly enough to look like ROD.
Any thoughts on what is going on with these trees?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Could just be run of the mill fungus. They have finicky roots also, and if those get disturbed by being crushed or something else, they have problems with uptake. That being said, if it were an uptake problem, the upper leaves would die first, not the lower leaves. Try drenching the root area with a fungicide and see if that helps at all.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
OK, I have what looks to be 2 forms of the Ohias.
The smaller dia. trunks that have grown twisted and contorted, with quite interesting shapes.
Then there are the larger, taller, straight trunked trees, less interesting but more numerous.
Both have been affected by this, but the smaller ones with the snaking trunks more so.

What kind of area will the roots of an Ohia cover?
Any suggestions as to what fungicide[s] to use?

EDIT:
About a year ago [7/'15] alapaimike posted that an Ohe Mauka was located in LE on Kupono near Malama.
I have gone to that area several times and cannot find it.
I have looked and checked around for sources for Ohe Mauka seedlings, saplings, seeds, etc.
As close as I've been able to come is to be offered Ohe Makai.
To the best of my knowledge, they are not suitable replacements for Ohias.
I am not interested in arguing the merits of one over the other.
I want to begin replacing my dead and dieing Ohias with Ohe Maukas.

Can anyone point me towards sure sources of Ohe Mauka replacement seeds, seedlings, saplings, etc?
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
Spelling Patrol Alert:

I think you mean "dying" not dieing

in most cases, a word the dictionary doesn't recognize is underlined in red. Then you can right click on the word, and it will offer words with similar spelling. But in this case, the dictionary doesn't connect dieing with dying, so that's no help.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
I think probably not.
Dye is coloring.
Die is end of life.
Dieing did not end up underlined in red, neither in the first case or in this one, the second case.
Dieing is the correct term for the subject.

EDIT:
Just to be sure, I went to check it out.

Dieing has to do with dies as in tool and die.
Dying without the "e" is the correct term.
My apologies.
I will remember in the future.

But, I did find this:
... there are early examples of the spelling dieing for dying in the 1800s. This leads to the thought that the currently accepted form is because of a spelling reform at some point in time since then.

But then, many of the changes in British to Americanese English are due to spelling reforms.

Languages, spoken and written are in constant evolution, words change meaning, are changed in spelling and pronunciation. That's how dialects and new languages come to be. You can only slow it down. You'll never stop it from happening.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Just in case the spelling/language digression has derailed this thread, I'll ask my last question again:

" Can anyone point me towards sure sources of Ohe Mauka replacement seeds, seedlings, saplings, etc? ".
- - - - - - - - - - -
Interesting dialogue between you two.
I once wrote "diseased" instead of "deceased" on the mail of a friend's Mother. She was not sick, she was no longer living. Never could figure out why knee has a k and neck doesn't. oh well. Back to topic.

I'm not not sure if I understand what varieties of Ohia you are talking about, but I do know that although some, not all, of our Ohia trees are turning brown, ( from the top) others are popping up in the rot of Ohia cut down years ago and also in tree ferns in the yard. They seem to do best if they plant themselves, although I have bought a few in pots too and they are growing well. 40$ usually.
My neighbor who has land in Hawaiian Acres says Keiki Ohia are all over her lot, and she sometimes brings me a box full. I haven't had much success with those, but I think I planted them in a particularly day year.
Good luck. IMHO, planting trees is a worthy endeavor.
quote:
Originally posted by 1voyager1

Just in case the spelling/language digression has derailed this thread, I'll ask my last question again:

" Can anyone point me towards sure sources of Ohe Mauka replacement seeds, seedlings, saplings, etc? ".

Yeah, too bad though because, they won't let them out to known root dyers.
What are the leaves like on your ohia? That indicates the type more than the form of the trunk. The first type to come up on the lava flows has densely hairy leaves; these are eventually replaced by a form with bare leaves (there are also hybrids, which have fewer hairs that you can rub off relatively easily with your fingers, but these don't do as well so they're not as common). If the ones dying are the hairy-leaved form and the ones surviving have bare leaves, it might just be natural progression.

Unfortunately the ohe mauka (Tetraplasandra hawaiensis) are dying out around Leilani. There seems to be another type of fungal rot that kills them, turning the inner bark to slime. They're also sensitive to injuries, which may be how the fungus gets in. One landowner I talked to there said he had been told by the guy who cleared his lot that they were weeds! There is at least one planted on the UH campus, but I don't know if it's big enough to make fruit or if it will do so at all without another one around.

Ohe makai (Reynoldsia sandwichensis) prefers drier places, there were some around Kalapana but it's probably too wet in most of the subdivisions.