Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no NextEra merger
Of course, the PUC immediately claims it isn't an issue...

It isn't: these were mere "studies" to determine "feasibility", not actual work.

I don't understand why they are so bent on the renewable energy malarkey.

The "greenwashing" is an important part of the political posture -- lots of money for "studies".

Amusing tidbit in the latest Pacific Business News: they polled with the question "does PUC's rejection of NextEra confirm Hawaii's 'business-hostile' reputation?" ... 70% said yes.

It's also worth noting that when State talks "renewables", they generally mean to create an interisland power grid so that the outer islands can feed clean green power to Oahu.

Land on Oahu is far too valuable for solar panels, and the people there don't want to look at ugly wind farms, nor do they have any opportunity for substantial geothermal power.

Ige is against LNG because it's not "green enough" -- but it's an existing technology, well-understood, available today, and produces fewer emissions than diesel. I think LNG would be a great solution to Oahu's power needs -- the other islands, with their smaller grids and lower population density, might each be able to achieve 100% renewable sources... if they weren't being treated as mere "resources" to be exploited by Oahu.
quote:
Originally posted by alaskyn66

I don't understand why they are so bent on the renewable energy malarkey.

Because the federal government will give lot's of incentives and tax breaks to the state that is "green" ... That is the reason. Looks good on paper.
Tax breaks make sense. That and it makes people feel all warm and fuzzy thinking they are doing the planet good.
The undersea cable between Oahu and Maui would be about 116 miles.
Oahu Hardly has enough energy, Why is Oahu wanting to give It's extra RAIL energy to Maui? Why build this Cable Then?

https://www.trails.com/facts_32464_dista...lands.html

The undersea cable discussions are still in the works apparently, So I will share my Opinion to what may be being discussed. Most likely this Maui to Oahu 116 mile cable would only be Phase one of the intended project. Then phase Two would be the 70-mile undersea cable between Oahu and Kauai. Phase 3 would most likely be Maui to the Big Island which is a mere 26 miles and the Energy needed for the entire state. The power they are after will most likely come from all kinds of sources like Wind, solar, bio, hydro, and of course Geothermal. All those alternative energies can be worked with in the future as Hawaii becomes less oil dependent for ELECTRICITY USE.

Geothermal may be the only 24/7 consistent or reliable baseload energy to work with? Possibly somewhere up to 500 megawatts of electricity could be generated from the geothermal resources available in Puna "If done Pono". Our Island currently uses less than 200 megawatts of electricity, with Puna using less than 10 megawatts of the currently 38 megawatts being produced at my Neighbors Ormat industry.
Not long ago we here in Leilani were hearing rumours about another OHA or Hawaiian group Owned, 25-50 megawatt Geothermal Power plant in the works for Poihiki. We also were hearing rumours that this current Ormat owned plant was going to increase their production from 38 megawatts to their allowed 60 megawatts. Now that the TMT project has run into a Hawaiian road block, we have seen a stall or halt of a few island alternative energy projects, like the Geothermal expansion. The energy direction this next VOTED-IN administration takes could be interesting if their hands aren't tied already. My guess is that Oahu's Rail system and added Tourism accommodations to the island's will eventually need Puna's or Pele's Geothermal resources and government kick backs to make it work economically. All jmo's.

edited to change watts to megawatts, thanks for the catch guys.
edited because gypsy's edit made my post non-sensical.

Have a great weekend!

Pretty sure gypsy meant megawatts...
Or that's down right silly.
Despite which, there is a valid implied point: with the newly-discovered "sacredness", there won't be any new geothermal projects, so it really doesn't matter if they build an interisland power grid, there won't be any extra power to export to Oahu anyway.