Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What part of a mangoseen to do you eat?
OK, I finally bought my first two mangosteens at Island Naturals health food store, and was told to peel the fruit, but when I got home, I found that under the peel is this brownish/maroon colored part that tastes kinda like bark or nutmeats, but it's also pretty bitter. Further inside the fruit is this white mushy stuff surrounding the seed, and that's kinda tasty, but there's certainly not much of it! (these things cost $7.99/pound!) What did I do wrong? Or are my taste buds just too plebian to appreciate the Queen of Fruits???

Katie

Wherever you go, there you are.
Wherever you go, there you are.
You eat the 'white stuff' but it should not be what I would call mushy, just tender, if the fruit is not overripe. The seeds are also edible, but just crunchy to my taste.
We buy them by the kilogram in Thailand. The easy way to open them is hold the flat bottom in your palm(s - depending on size) and squeeze against your fingers on the top end (usually with the sepal remnants) until the fruit just cracks. Then it is easy to open without such a struggle and getting stains under your nails.

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
yeah they are real tasty, unfortunately local growers charge an arm and a leg for a pound of it here. Perhaps it's grown in 24kt gold dust locally? In Thailand I think I use to pay around 5 or 10 baht a kilo for most fruits(Mangosteen, Rambutan,Logan) there with the exception with the "King of Fruits"...Durian costing more for obvious reasons. Once you got past the smelly sock smell of Durian a creamy tasting custard like center awaited you!

I don't know why, but fruit tended to taste better in the Thailand? Boy they had the sweetest tasting mangos I have ever tasted in my life there. Nothing like Mangos & Sticky Rice for a nice dessert

Handle every situation like a dog,If you can't eat it or hump it,piss on it and walk away...
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!