Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying a 20' container in East Hawaii
I have a Kona client looking to buy a container in Hilo. Anybody up to speed on container costs, east Hawaii, for 20' and 40'?

Mahalo,

Rob

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Locally, I usually see 40' Hi-Cubes go for around $5000 and 20' sell for around $3000-$3500. These are usually containers that are well used and unlikely to pass a survey if you want to ship anything in them. Price varies by condition. Typically you also need a way to move them, which means a crane (~$200/hour) and a truck.
http://www.bigislandcontainer.com/

I bought a one trip container from Kimo. We store an antique car in it so I wanted a good solid container with good seals He has a roll back truck for deliver of the 20 footers.
We bought a 40' high cube from Kimo about 6 years ago. It was $5k. They are about the same price now but the same money gets you a better container (the prices have come down). At the time the only 20 footers to be found were 40' containers that were cut in half. Because of the cost of installing/welding the extra doors they were the same price at the 40' containers (apparently nobody ships 20' containers to the island any more). We brought our 20' high cube with us from Alaska.

Conens freight will transport and ground a container for about $400. Price will vary on distance. We had the 40' transported to Volcano and the 20' to Orchidland. That price included help setting them up on foundation blocks if that's what you want. They can move a loaded 20' container with a forklift on unpaved driveways or roads. They send two trucks, one with the container and one with the forklift. They transported the 40' container on a truck bed with a moveable axle so it was unbelievably nimble considering the container on flatbed plus truck was a good 60'+ feet. The 40' didn't need a forklift because the bed lifts and it slides off.

The high cubes (and possibly even regular) might not fit under the typical power line height between the power pole and the home attachment when they are on the flatbed. Figure 9'6" for the container plus the 4-5' or whatever up the bed is. Every delivery is different.

eta: content
When I called Kimo to price containers his prices had gone up over $1000 from just a month ago! He said demand had grown substantially... A 20' lightly used was over $5k.

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
Mahalo everyone!

Rob
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I would get another 20' HC if the price was right, but 5k isn't the right price. If I could do it all over again, two containers with a roof between the two of them.