Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera repair?
A while back we upgraded to the "good camera." Then I may have let a random wave rolling up the stream at Hakalau to dampen it. It partially works now. It is a Canon EOS Rebel. I have discovered that there are apparently no camera stores in Hilo any longer. Does anyone know of, or actually do, camera diagnostics/repair?
I would send it Back to company for repair,Contact web site for where to send .
Also depends on the age...our Rebel EOS was almost 11 last year & after 10,000 images gave up the E99 code, We contacted Canon & they do not work on 11 year old cameras... so now I have a nice assortment of Rebel accessories for ... basically an expensive boat anchor!
One time my smoking hot wife washed my cell phone in the laundry washing machine. I took the battery out and rinsed the phone under distilled water (also known as catchment water) to remove any laundry products and then immersed the phone in rubbing alcohol. I swished it around in the alcohol as much as possible, trying to disperse all the water I could. Then I set the phone on the hot pipe coming off the hot water heater.

12 hours later, the phone was as good as new.

I think the secret to saving wet electronics is to remove the power source as quickly as practical and then disperse the water with something that doesn't oxidize the electronics and evaporates quickly. You can get a bottle of 90% rubbing alcohol at Longs on sale for 99 cents and it can save a $600 electronic device. I came up with this idea after remembering how I used to clean circuit boards at an Epson plant with methanol, which has very similar characteristics to rubbing alcohol.
Peter - how about trying to contact the Hilo Photography Club (http://hilophotoclub.org/)? Someone there might be able to offer some advice.

Just curious, is it a mechanical or electronic problem?
Aloha Tom, I sent an email to the club. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know what the problem is. I like machine sthat either work or not. Seems like a lot of machines (cars, cameras, computers) work some of the time.
+ 1 Terracore ... I've done this + also immediately take the whole thing apart .. Even had one come back to life after it did not work for months !!!

These are small Olympus 2X and Sanyo "splash proofs"

aloha,
pog

Also works with Nikon Mechanicals ... Don't ask me how I know.
Peter - just curious if you've made any progress?
Didn't get a response from the Hilo club. Not Have no idea if the problem is electrical or mechanical. Now I just draw.
Thanks, Peter, I like your attitude! I'm sorry my suggestion didn't work out. Other than contacting Canon directly, my only other suggestion is to try the Canon place in Honolulu on Ward Avenue. According to google, they do camera repairs. Why not give them a call and see if they might be able to help? (808) 522-5930.