Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paved roads in HA
Hi, this is not a positional issue for me but I was wondering.. I read somewhere here in a post that I can't find again that there are some possible plans from the county to pave roads in some of the subdivisions. I think that the original post spoke about Fern Forest and Hawaiian Acres. Anyone know if this is likely? If so how would this work? Again, just wondering...
The last county council proposed buying connector lots and paving connector roads linking mauka subdivisions with each other. But as far as I am aware no plans for any additional paving or maintenance in the neighborhoods.
PCDP "Connectivity" working group identified 14 places where adjacent subdivisions could be connected; it's been discussed, try "connectivity" as a search term, or wade through the CDP website at http://hawaiicountycdp.info

The working group also intends to "stagger" these connections so as to make it "inconvenient" to cut through the subdivisions.

County code prohibits public investment in "private" roads, and of course "there is no money" -- part of that problem being that there is no provision in County code for "substandard" roads, they can only build 40-foot wide pavement on a 60-foot easement, which would look pretty silly with 10-foot unpaved "roads" on each end. The other problem is: any lots identified as "connector" suddenly have a ridiculous asking price, so would need to be obtained through eminent domain...
Mahalo nui loa to you both, particularly Kalakoa. "Connectivity" certainly did the trick. I'll follow your link to the CDP tomorrow on my day off though looking at the Punaweb posts helps to clarify terms and underlying issues. That being said, I had to read your post above four times to start having a clue. This site is such an excellent resource for me, mahalo for contributing. Smile