Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something is laying eggs in our pet's water bowl
We keep water bowls for our pets out on the lanai.
The lanai is on a concrete slab and screened.
Almost every morning small domed gelatinous masses, up to about 3/8" dia., are attached to the bottom of the bowls.
They look to be clear and empty.
But, when looked at through a magnifying glass they contain a coiled row of very small yellowish tan rice grain shaped eggs.

They definitely are not coqui eggs.
I wonder if they might be slug or snail eggs.
But, there are no slime trails apparent.
Anyone have any idea as to whose they are?

I can get pics of them if needed to make an ID.
I'm just reluctant to get that involved with it that early, while I'm still a bit groggy from just getting up.

Welcome to Puna, the land of the Vocal Lunatic Fringe.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Is it possible that a Bufo frog is getting into your screened lanai at night? The description of the eggs sounds similar to Bufo eggs. Above and below ground fish ponds are often breeding grounds for bufos. Maybe your water bowl is just large enough.
I say put an xtra bowl out and wait to see what develops from the eggs. If bufo/cane toads, they'll turn into black tadpoles. Then dump em on a dry plant somewhere so they dont develop. Weird bc of the slab and screening!
sounds like a cool science experiment...

Wait a few months and let's see what they might be? Could be cane toads. Do you hear any croaking near by?
OK,
I set the camera up last night so that all I needed to do this morning was frame, focus and release the shutter.

I took a closer look this morning and could see the changes in the refractive index between the gelatinous globs and the water.
There were numerous, some in strings, egg globes floating in the water.
Only a very few ended up attached to the bottom of the dish after the water was poured out.

I am certain that they are not the eggs of any type of frog.
They do not look like mosquito eggs.
I do not think they are snail or slug eggs.
I'm thinking that they're probably from some type of insect or other type of "bug".

We also have water out on the unscreened portion of the lanai.
The eggs are showing up there too, making it likely that the eggs will be found in almost all standing water.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if they're also in the catchment tank.

Photo:
http://s131.photobucket.com/user/solo_vo...m.jpg.html

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
Looks like these things are at most 1/64" long. Not any frogs or toads that I am familiar with.
Those look a lot like whitefly (not sure if they are ever aquatic, mostly know them on leaves) or black soldier fly eggs (Aquatic)...
But could be quite a few others...heck, outta curiosity, let some go to larval, or adult stage!
I'm thinking that they're closer to about 0.01", give or take, about 4 +/- per each 1/32" division.
I couldn't find my 1/100" division scale.

Worst comes to worst, I'll probably end up running this past the County Extension next week.
If they can't ID'em for me, they'll probably point me towards someone at UHH that can.
Plus, I've got other things to do rather than to grow bugs.
I'm losing the battle against the jungle taking over our place.
Can't lose my focus on that right now.

- - - - - - - - - - -
At any rate, these are not frog / toad or even dragonfly eggs, these look like common house fly eggs to me. I wouldn't worry about it. Could even be some sort of beetle egg.