Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help! Banana sap on truck! Ideas to remove?
Got a mess of keikis loaded up and made a mess all over the truck... not cool! [B)] Anyone have any good methods to remove stubborn banana stalk sap from automotive finishes?[?]

William DeBoe
Moe'uhane Oihana mahi ai
Mahi 'ai 'Ulu
Clay bar kit from meguires. You can buy it at Napa or oreillys
We use cooking oil to remove it from our knives etc. Orange oil would probably work too but no idea if it's safe for auto paint.
Bug and Tar remover may work. Any auto parts store will have it. I had pine sap and it removed it. The other thing to try is isopropyl alcohol. If you don't have that available remember it's in hand sanitizer. Test on a small, inconspicuous area first.
short story long, I use to live in Cedar Tree country. Every year massive sap dripping. Everyone wanted to know what/how to remove. Really messy on shoes walking around.
Buy this, buy that, do this or that. Bottom line, it's water soluble. Keep shoes in shallow pan of water, wash car.

Try just plain old soap and water.
I'd try WD-40. Works on many things you can't get off. Great on stainless steel to clean off fingerprints. Spray on the cloth, not on the thing you're cleaning.
Auto detailers use diesel to remove tar and pine sap. A little goes a long way. But I would start with whatever vegetable oil you have in the house.
Thanks all for suggestions. No household remedy worked on week old banana mess. Tried rubbing alcohol, gas, diesel, 3M 03618, orange oil, wd-40, pb blaster, veggie oil, simple green, and bleach. Made a trip to town and picked up a clay bar and some turtle wax brand bug/tar remover. Used half the clay bar at a time and used the remover as lubricant for the clay bar (the remover made the clay bar get too squishy after a while, hence the half a bar at a time, plus that's always been a habit for clay bar cause I usually end up dropping the thing in gravel and ruining it) and a ton of elbow grease; the roof was the worst. It ended up swirl marking the crap outta the finish so I did a two step hand wax and used a mini orbital to shine it out. Learned the lesson the hard way. Thanks again, wanted to make sure to report back my results. Punaweb gets me out of a jam one more time! [Big Grin] Aloha.

William DeBoe
Moe'uhane Oihana mahi ai
Mahi 'ai 'Ulu
Goo-gone works great also.