Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next year's tax increase!
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...-officials

Commissioners want to address discrepancies created when union-negotiated raises at the state level put some of the county middle managers at higher pay than their bosses. But several commissioners worried about the impact raises will have on a county budget that already relied this year on tax hikes to balance.

The county charter gives the Salary Commission the responsibility to set salaries of top officials in the county. The commission has no jurisdiction over union members. Salaries set by the commission cannot be changed by the County Council or the mayor.

Some commissioners worried that the county would have to again raise property taxes or cut services in order to factor in raises when balancing the budget. But that shouldn't be their concern, said Finance Director Deanna Sako.
"Your duties are to set the salaries and we'll find the money, so to speak," Sako said.

"we'll find the money, so to speak"

Wouldn't it be nice if we the taxpayers weren't as disorganized as the county, and one day we all said together, "We could all use some extra cash to pay our bills, I'm sure we'll find the money somehow, oh, wait a minute, if I don't pay my taxes it's already right here in my pocket! Let the county figure out another way to find the money. Maybe among themselves if they take a good hard look at budgets, expenses, and salaries. You know, like the rest of us."

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
It's called a "rent strike", if enough people participate there's simply no way for the authorities to prosecute everyone.
“Everyone in this room wants pay raises for our friends and neighbors who are in these positions,” said Commissioner James Higgins.

Including benefits, “the packages can be huge,” he said.
--------------

[Sad!]
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

It's called a "rent strike", if enough people participate there's simply no way for the authorities to prosecute everyone.

Your comedic writing knows no bounds KK!
Government employment ceased being "civil service" a long time ago. Now it is just a big money grab for the lucky few.
The hogs are at the trough. See the little piggies...