Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Years resolutions for Community Associations
As we approach the new year, what resolutions should community associations be making? Aside from maintaining (or trying anyway) the roads, what does an effective community association look like in 2018? What services do people actually expect and value? Are they even relevant anymore?
Road associations: do what you do, do the best you can. I feel for the people who try to maintain the private roads here - everyone seems to have an opinion of how to do it better - with no experience maintaining roads in this climate. Anyway - I moved here partly because of the private roads, and they're not perfect; I really don't want much change, just maintain - I knew what the roads were when I arrived, if they stay that way I'm happy; keep the roads private.

Other associations: I moved where there weren't any other associations because I want nothing to do with them. Communities vary, but I think we have too many "community associations" - let me be; live and let live.

Living the good life - off the grid in Puna
Living the good life - off the grid in Puna
Other associations: I moved where there weren't any other associations because I want nothing to do with them. Communities vary, but I think we have too many "community associations" - let me be; live and let live.

Apparently associations can form anywhere and force you to be a part of them. Case in point - OLCA was formed 20 years after the subdivision was formed and began selling lots. EVERYONE who bought a lot in Orchidland between 1959 and 1979 did so in an area that had no association.
That's why I like HA, no CC&Rs and the association has no power over anyone. They just do stuff like drive-in wifi, farmer's market, neighborhood information, classes, and parties/rental.

I feel like there's some room for bigger and better things though. Agricultural purchasing cooperatives, fruit picking/selling services, truck rentals for members, private security, group theft insurance, in-home medical and elder-care, etc etc. Not to mention more active participation with local government, lobbying our civil servants to protect residents and get services, working with the police to reduce theft and increase convictions (maybe using bait cars and houses).

What should associations focus on?
working with the police to reduce theft and increase convictions (maybe using bait cars and houses).
--------------
That is a lofty idea but doesn't work with a police force that protects their own thieving relatives.
That's why I like HA, no CC&Rs and the association has no power over anyone.

In Orchidland, we had no association for the first 20 years, then an association was formed in 1979 that was EXACTLY like yours. Something happened in '91-'92 that very few knew about until it was a done deal. It changed everything, and look where we are today. Pay close attention RandomQ. It could happen to you.