Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tenant Trouble
I have a rental house but rent it to our daughter. If she moves out, it's up for sale.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
" they fire the (bank) employee quietly after signing a non-disclosure agreement, and give the employee a good reference."

This is a trend. You can thank lawyers for this. Filing lawsuits for improper termination.

And now we have our guy at the Emergency Management Agency claiming that he bears minimal responsibility for the false alarm. He might have a lawyer on this.

Didn't I also mention lawyers on the tax post??? (And by the way, a fair number of Kalakoa's posts can be summarized as Lawyers acting against the public interest.)

I like William Shakespeare's quote: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
I hate the idea of "feeding the bears" essentially perpetuating the cycle.

Whichever route you choose I hope the outcome is acceptable to you.

The government has certainly done a poor job of representing the interests of landlords from the sound of it.

MNG,

As much as I would love to take you up on your offer (hell I'd give you more $) these Snowflakes know the law and don't hesitate for a second to use it. Their inverter had some sort of squirrelly error the other day and power was cut off to their house and not the other house on the property (where my property manager lives). They contacted neither myself or the Manager, meanwhile, the Manager had noticed the problem several minutes after it occurred (his house was still powered, their inverter had tripped offline). By the time he put a headlamp on, grabbed some tools, and headed out to the solar pavilion to fix it........as he was bent over the battery bank and inverter stack......guess who pulled up. The Honoka'a PoPo.

They had called the police saying we had turned off their electricity in a retaliatory fashion. They took my Property Manager's statement, admired our new PV system, then went over to our special snowflakes. They took their statement as well, it was ridiculous of course. The cops asked if they were delinquint on rent, they admitted they were and tried to explain why we were horrible Landlords. The police said, pay your rent, and only calls us if it's an emergency or if a law is being broken.....and walked away. They returned to my property manager, said not to worry, again admitted our PV system, talked story a bit and left.They never mentioned the police to us when talking with them afterwards; it was our PM who did.

I hate feeding the bears too, but these are bears that know the law and dance the dance Hawaii Landlord/Tenant law allows them to dance.

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
We're all here, because we're not all there!
quote:
Originally posted by AKpilot

MNG,

As much as I would love to take you up on your offer (hell I'd give you more $) these Snowflakes know the law and don't hesitate for a second to use it.
I hate feeding the bears too, but these are bears that know the law and dance the dance Hawaii Landlord/Tenant law allows them to dance.

I don't think that you are completely powerless on this - if I was in your situation, and they failed to pay their rent, I believe that you can, after they leave, send a notice to the credit agencies that they left with substantial rent in arrears... Might be worth investigating... and will, in the future forewarn other landlords.

Might also be worth a discussion with the IRS because "forgiven rent" is taxable as income... Back during the downturn, forgiven mortgages were considered taxable income. This web page treats the issue: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/...to-enforce. Says you can report it to IRS and our friends there will do the rest... Might also include whatever you had to pay them (write them a check...) to get them to vacate...

Nothing illegal there... and most reasonable landlords will check credit ratings for the renters...

That same site says that you can take them to court to garnish their wages for the unpaid rent - although the consensus is that that probably won't be successful in extracting any money, a court judgement will also go onto their credit rating... Depends on how much time you want to expend in educating them that, eventually, there are consequences to bad behavior.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

"One could even say some tenants further extort their landlords by badgering them into giving them (the tenant) a good reference."
This isn't confined to just rental situations.
It's pretty much universal. UH fired Evan Dobelle as president for massive overspending on travel and other things, gave him some money to make him go away, and he later got fired from two other schools for the exact same thing.
Mr. nice guy: I bounced in busy night clubs for 5 years...I can move in with them....They will be gone in two days tops if they do it on their own or if I help them out.

Am still intrigued by MNG's idea. I mentioned I believe such an action would be illegal, but a variation might work: Moving another party onto the property.

On the mainland that could be with a mobile home. Since we do not have those in Hawaii that would mean either a tent or a small cabin set on the property--making the process much more cumbersome. Years ago we had an 8 by 12 foot cabin we moved a trailer.

I am not sure a standard lease confers control of both the house and the lot. This option would most likely work only on remote larger lots and/or lots with no close neighbors.

Our imaginations can tell us the myriad of ways to make life unpleasant for the deadbeat tenants. A lot of effort in all this, but it depends on how bad you want to get rid of your problem.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013...his-fourth

It must be remembered that some people are psychopaths/sociopaths. This article about Evan Dobelle points out that those hiring people like him often rely excessively on interviews. There are people who simply lie with consummate ease. If you are not looking out for that it can be devastating and in hindsight it seems impossible that anyone could not see the lies but really you don't go through life expecting to come across someone like that. The vast majority of your interactions are with regular people not pathological liars or sociopaths.

FWIW I can see the benefit, if renting out a house, to rent out only certain rooms or rather not rent out all the rooms sort of like a glorified roommate situation, so that you always have a legal reason to be there. Then implementing MNG's plan would be much easier.
MarkP @ 09:54:49 01/05/ 2018-
I will reiterate- do not do long term residential rentals here PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Dobelle, MA government, is at best marginally better than HI.
At least they have an opposition political Party that is real and asks questions
and makes alternative policy and practice proposals and laws.
if you take vigilante justice againt your tenants... you could likely end up in a civil lawsuit that would strip you of property ownership. ( assuming they have a relative
practicing law..)
'Oh the distress it caused me and mine.. now I have PTSD. I'll never be able to work again.' ... Blah,Blah,Blah.'

Okay Google... Who are these people and why ain't they working?