Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Property Assessed Valuation Increase of 18.52%
My County real property assessment notice just showed up. It's a 18.52% increase over last year. Is everyone else seeing this type of one year jump? Too bad Hawaii has a third world local government.
The net taxable value of our home in HPP went up 5% over last year, so we came off pretty well. Like many reported on another thread here on Punaweb, the land value went down while the structure went up. Oddly, last year the assessed value and market value of the structure were shown as the same. This year, the assessed value was much, much less than the market value. I hope that doesn't mean that they will bump the assessment up even more next year to bring it in line with what they claim the market value to be. The excuse the County propagandists are making for raising values in a falling market is that they were undervalued last time. Yeah, right. They will do whatever it takes to produce the desired level of revenue, all the while providing substandard services and infrastructure in Puna. All cynicism aside, though, the owner-occupied residential property taxes here are among the lowest you will find in the USA.

Cheers,
Jerry
The best part about this non sexual RAPE is the $15.00 that we must pay to appeal. Our basic tiny 700sf home, riddled with termite damage, went from $57,900 to $96,800 in one year. Its nice to know that the low income do not have the right to Appeal. $15.00 to some is a decent amount of money, especially when it might be for nothing, and you get to drive somewhere at 4.00 a gal to appeal your case. Many can not afford that so they don't get the right to appeal. Maybe a call to the police dept should be met with a basic $5.00 charge, keep the low income unprotected as well. Boy Hawaii is really working to be a rich gated community. With the dynamic duo of Helco and The County of Hawaii, these islands will become the most elite neighborhoods in the world with only the very rich living here. The odd thing about that is there will be no one left to work the jobs that the rich are not working. Times like this I wish my home was UNPERMITTED.

Make the call to The County of Hawaii and complain. I managed to get a small amount of the value taken off my home with that phone call. I could still build two nicer homes, up to current code, for what they value it at but I don't want to waste $15.00 to the gov process. Or we can all just roll over and accept the non sexual RAPE. Be sure to thank them when you send in your check.
Careful -- that's a 'doubleungood.' Our dystopian local government, which somehow manages to languishe within a territorial mentality, will send you to the 'Ministry of Love.' Next time your in Hilo, I go in every month or two, take a real look at the architecture in the new administration building across the street from Ace Hardware. Each time I look at it I'm reminded of Winston Smith and Orwell's depiction of what happened to him after he was dragged in there.
It's little wonder why rates are going up. The structure must have cost an arm and a leg (anyone heard the costs?) And what I'd like to know is what was wrong with the renovated J.C. Penny Building they're in now and the various other buildings in the area? They seem to have lots of room and I see absolutely no signs of crowding with an abundance of parking (and one should note that the the best parking spaces, meaning the closest to the entrance -- are reserved for employees, and of course that should make one wonder who's serving whom?) What could possibly justify a ten or twenty-fold increase in square-footage and hence the need to construct such a monsterous looking structure in the middle of Hilo? The end costs for that building are going to be astronomical and we're going to pay for it over the years in addition to it's asundry monthly bills. I can see it now, and if I'm wrong I'll repent -- a lavish cafeteria and probably a 'lounge' or two for VIP's. An up to date exercise room and somewhere within its bowels I expect a massive auditorium with perhaps a little brother hidden away somewhere. The building's administrator(s) will most likely occupy a lavish office space with their own washrooms and a dynamite view from atop the structure. I could go on but what's the sense. I know people need employment but it's the home and lot owners who are going to end up paying for it and let' be honest - it won't improve the services we receive one iota.

JayJay
JayJay
There was a fairly long thread regarding this topic. Some properties' assessed value went down, but most went up and some doubled. My assessed value went up by 35%.

Property Assessment

ArtM