Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20% picaridin insect repellent experience
I've always been a 99% DEET guy but just over 6 months ago I ordered some 20% picaridin (couldn't find it in this concentration locally anywhere).

Because we can have dengue in Hawaii, I was reluctant to post any experiences that quite honestly, could potentially influence life or death situations, but here I am doing it with the standard disclaimer to do your own due diligence.

The quick review: The 20% picaridin is at least as effective as 99% DEET in deterring mosquitoes, but is virtually odorless to humans. This means one is much more likely to USE it, inside or out. DEET burns my eyes like hell when I sweat and it runs into them, I have not noticed any discomfort when using picaridin.

What is picaridin? It's a synthetic version of piperine, the chemical that gives black pepper its insect repelling properties. Picaridin is approved and registered by the EPA to repel insects. It's not a natural or homeopathic solution.

6 months ago I was reluctant to use insect repellent because quite frankly I'd prefer to get a few bites than to spray the nasty smelling DEET on me and deal with all that entails. Now I can spray this odorless, colorless, non-greasy spray on me and not get bit.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icaridin

Sounds good. Where did you get it?

Cheers,
Kirt
I usually use the repellents from the health food store or Ecosmart Insect Repellent from Longs, but with the Dengue outbreak, we needed something more effective. I can’t use DEET either. Every time I’ve tried, my skin and eyes burn like crazy, and I have to RUN to wash it off. We switched to Picaridin during the Dengue outbreak too, and have zero bad reactions to it. Sawyers Fisherman’s Formula from Amazon. We got a case and used half of it, and still have enough for the next time we need it. Picaridin is recommended by the World Health organization BTW. Good stuff.
At last I have found my area of expertise on Puna web! I am a mosquito magnet. I have tried every non-DEET repellant the internet can offer. Forget any of the nautral repellants. At best they help for a couple hours. Picaridin is the way to go. There are two good ones, Natrapel and Fisherman's Formula. The trick is getting them shipped to Hawaii. I've tried ordering online through Amazon, Wal Mart, Target. various pharmacies, and direct from the manufacturer.

Target used to carry Natrapel but stopped about a year ago. And I've found no one else on the island that stocks them. Then Amazon lightened up after the eruption began and started shipping Natrapel again. The 3.4 oz.is preferable but they were only shipping the larger spray-on can. Problem with that is that you use way more than you need. But it works like a charm for six hours, then wears off all of a sudden. Bonus advice: to alleviate mosquito bite itches use Vick's Vapo Rub.
Certainty will be the death of us.
Terracore, I'm a 99% DEET guy too. Used to go fishing in Alaska and arctic Canada. Found something called Bug Fug and when it melted my plastic watch band I knew it was going to work. When you put it on your skin you could taste it in your mouth.
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Picaridin-...01BAEJIT8/

They also have 3and 6 packs.

The ones sold by amazon do not ship to Hawaii as of a few minutes ago.

Cheers,
Kirt
Have >t shipped to a friend or relative on mainland, than to u.

Dan D
HPP

HPP
There's no real reason to use 99% DEET. 20% works just as well (though when you get down to 5-10% it doesn't last long).
Yes, I used the Sawyer's fishermans formula. Amazon will not ship it here. I bought it on ebay.

Before Amazon started their insect repellent ban I bought some pyrethrin based stuff that you spray on your clothes. It doesn't just repel them, they die shortly after making contact. I would think with that and the picaridin on the skin one would be very protected.
Here's one for under $10 and free shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292690004863