Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii voted near worst state to pay taxes
What we need is a constitutional amendment that requires an audit before any new funding is granted: prove you really need the higher taxes.
@my2cents:

I have many teacher friends and am familiar with the DOE.
The best teachers are not going to those charter schools with less resources.
Those teacers are the ones that have choices. The principals of schools have to fight for them because they are coveted. They go to the bigger schools that actually have a library on campus and have a teachers lounge with lots of space to do work. Work using things like efficient copiers laminating machines etc. The charter schools have sub-par versions that are often faulty. So often when I have visited, I would ask where is your... and invariably the reply is we don't have one or it's broken or we don't have the funding for that.

The best teachers go to the schools where they actually have a whole classroom to themselves and not just a room with 5 foot tall divider in the middle so you can hear everything going on in your neighbor teachers' room. The public schools have far more to offer. The best teachers aren't going those spots with less to offer.

In fact quite the opposite. The teachers that can't get in anywhere else will go to charter school because it's their last resort.

Of course there is always the exception with a good teacher or two at the charter schools but everyone I have talked to complain about not enough funding in the charter schools and they want out and to move schools.
Keep voting in tax-and-spend politicians and the government/bureaucracy will continue to grow while services shrink.

I remember when George H.W. gave his "1000 points of light" speech. I was a young libtard and thought it was the most calloused thing a politician could say.

Fortunately I grew up and eventually realized what he meant: If you want to give $5 to the homeless, give it to a homeless organization. If you give it to the government under some tax meant to help the homeless, your $5 plus an additional $5 will be absorbed by the bureaucracy to administer a program that is so ineffective it will actually make the homeless worse off than they were before, AND the original $5 hasn't even made it to the homeless yet. So for every $5 tax slated for the homeless, we have to borrow an additional $10 from China on bad programs that make the problems worse.

Good charitable organizations don't suffer these types of governmental bureaucratic dysfunctions. You give $5 to help the homeless, most of it will help the homeless. Look at the shelters Carey helped find the screen doors for during the eruption while the politicians were trying to figure out where to put Natchville or devise some scheme to develop Shipman land in a district with 50,000 vacant lots.

Wake up, people.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

What we need is a constitutional amendment that requires an audit before any new funding is granted: prove you really need the higher taxes.

Right. That'll fly about as well as a truth amendment.
Let's pay ten people 100.000 each for a year to do a study on in first.

I have a sudden craving for popcorn..
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

Fortunately I grew up and eventually realized what he meant: If you want to give $5 to the homeless, give it to a homeless organization..

But most people don't want to give $5 to the homeless, and even fewer yet want to when the destitute need it the most, during economic downturns.

Least tax friendly? Not true- Hawaii loves taxes. Taxing alcohol, tobacco and rent a cars heavily is OK with me.
Least tax friendly?

The title is Hawaii voted near worst state to pay taxes.

There are some states like Oregon where you wind up not having to pay taxes for lots of things. How does their state government make up for it? Are their politicians payed less than ours?

Y'all see my thread titled "Hawaii Dead Last..." in Puna Politics. Is applicable to this topic, but I assumed it is more appropriate there.

"There are some states like Oregon where you wind up not having to pay taxes for lots of things."

Oregon doesn't have a sales tax, but they have an income tax and their property taxes are pretty painful. They also have really high excise taxes on a lot of thing. They are taxed plenty.

"But most people don't want to give $5 to the homeless, and even fewer yet want to when the destitute need it the most, during economic downturns. "

Unfortunately that is better for the homeless than giving the money to the government and "trusting" them not to spend it on bombing civilians somewhere thousands of miles away and promising to borrow enough money from China to create a worthwhile program for the homeless. Companies like Kraft and whoever makes Mt. Dew determine how SNAP benefits (food stamps) are distributed. SNAP stands for "Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program" but oddly enough, Red Bull qualifies for food stamp purchases because they changed their label from "Supplement Information" to "Nutritional Information". Yet is neither a supplement nor nutrition, however they have lobbyists who help direct that your tax money fill people's shopping carts with poison:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/well/...-soda.html

"The findings show that the No. 1 purchases by SNAP households are soft drinks, which accounted for 5 percent of the dollars they spent on food. The category of ‘sweetened beverages,’ which includes soft drinks, fruit juices, energy drinks and sweetened teas, accounted for almost 10 percent of the dollars they spent on food. “In this sense, SNAP is a multibillion-dollar taxpayer subsidy of the soda industry,” said Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University. “It’s pretty shocking.”"

ETA: content