Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK
Easy to confirm you are gathering on private property:
http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/tax-maps/cur...h15001.tif

Despite what y'all might wish, inundation does not change ownership, property rights, or zoning.

Kapu doesn't mean so much "forbidden" (though this simplification is useful for the ha'ole) as "owned, by someone who cares". I have similar folks come to my property with a shovel to gather gravel. When I suggest we go back to their hale to dig and gather, they are never so generous.

But please, resume your racist circle-jerk below.
Despite what y'all might wish, inundation does not change ownership, property rights, or zoning.

So do you think the people who told MarkD he was disrespecting the land were state workers? Representatives of the state in some way? Citizens on the lookout for state land violations while dropping off garbage at the transfer station?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"owned, by someone who cares"

State "owns" Mauna Kea. They would "care" if HRS 183C (use of Conservation land) were violated. No charges have been filed. What am I missing?
alohanaia: But please, resume your racist circle-jerk below

- - - -

I plead guilty to trespassing. That said, this expanse of land, in contrast to the fenced parcel across the street, has been openly used for years, both by locals hiking up the massive flow and tourists gawking at the site.

The people were not referring to trespassing (the kuleana of the owner, not them), but raising some native-Hawaiian sentiment.

I'll stick with my opinion that native Hawaiians have become more militant about so-called disrespectful land use activities. And that some of these complaints are hypocritical and contrived.

Last year a long-time Punatalk poster provided with good evidence that the don't take lava from Hawaii Island rule was generated many decades ago by an HVNP adminstrator who wanted to bolster the universal Park Service Rule that it is improper to take any materials from any National Park. (People mailing back 'bad luck" lava was also a factor.)

It seems native Hawaiians have opportunistically tried to make this narrative their own. If this is indeed culturally based, what is the exact sentiment??

Rock is one of man's most basic building materials and multi-use items. It's culturally universal. Don't take lava rocks from Hawaii?" Which lava rocks? What size? Are cinders different from rock? Why? What age? Is Madam Pele's gift less sacred after 10 years? 100 years? Which sites on Hawaii Island are kapu for taking lava? Can lava be used locally? Where? When? By whom?.....Etc.