Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future Of Retail Jobs In Hilo
employees that pretent to work get layed off...employers that pretent to pay go out of business

everyone either out of business or layed off are hired to pretend to work for the county of Hawaii...problem solved locally
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

At the moment three of the largest non government employers on Hawaii Island in Hilo are:
#11 Wal-Mart
#47 Home Depot
#53 Target

I'm curious. None of these employers are in the 10 non-government Hilo employers. And Home Depot and Target seem far down the line. Who are the other more prolific employers? I would love to be able to peruse that list if you can provide it. I keep hearing that small businesses hire the bulk of employees. Curious.
i wonder if Mrs. Mimosa is on it.

My dad ( N.Y.S.E.) said once " i want his job."

When we passed a flag waver one day.

50 years later 25 self employed with up to six workers, i know what he meant.
[quote]Originally posted by OrchidIslander
I'm curious.

I would love to be able to peruse that list

Web page of top employers in Hawaii County, 13 at a time (scroll down on page):
https://data.hawaii.gov/Employment/Top-5.../gphu-34y5
PDF all on contiguous list:
https://www.hiwi.org/admin/gsipub/htmlar...HawCty.pdf

I keep hearing that small businesses hire the bulk of employees.

In most areas, if you add up all of the workers employed by large companies and then add up all of the employees hired by small businesses, there will be more working for small businesses in total. There are far more small businesses than there are large corporations.

East Hawaii is a strange bird however. County, State, and Federal employees comprise about 70% of the workforce on our side of the island. For an example of this phenomenon, tomorrow, which is a government holiday, drive up to Highway 130 between Keaau and Pahoa either during morning or afternoon rush hour. Then on the following day, Tuesday when private AND government employees are all on the job, try it again. The difference in traffic on the two days is considerable.

“Apparently this thing is such an emergency that it will immediately be followed by golf.” - Haw. Sen. Brian Schatz, 2/15/19
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thanks for the links, HOTPE. If we exclude the Hilo Medical Center which is a non-profit/quasi-governmental entity, the Hilo Walmart is the biggest employer in town. If we exclude resort related businesses and the HMC, Hilo Walmart is the biggest private employer on the island.
HOTPE: East Hawaii is a strange bird however. County, State, and Federal employees comprise about 70% of the workforce on our side of the island. For an example of this phenomenon, tomorrow, which is a government holiday, drive up to Highway 130 between Keaau and Pahoa either during morning or afternoon rush hour. Then on the following day, Tuesday when private AND government employees are all on the job, try it again. The difference in traffic on the two days is considerable.

I suspect this is due to the Pahoa/Kea'au school complexes. The traffic includes not only teachers, cafeteria ( and food delivery ) people, janitors, security, etc. but also large numbers of parents who drive their kids to school and pick them up after. The jam by the Kea'au complex after school ( while teachers are still on campus ) slows that area to a crawl.
I suspect this is due to the Pahoa/Kea'au school complexes.

Yes, that is definitely a factor as well.
I’ve been driving that stretch of road on Monday afternoons for almost 20 years now, and have observed the differences between school days, school holidays, government holidays - - it was especially noticeable before the 4 lanes were finished to Shower Drive and the traffic backed up. When summer vacation at school coincided with a Monday 4th of July - - I saved 5-10 minutes on the drive.

Fortunately the school traffic largely occurs between 2 PM and 3:30 PM, and the worker commuter traffic is highest from 4 PM to 6:30 PM.

“Apparently this thing is such an emergency that it will immediately be followed by golf.” - Haw. Sen. Brian Schatz, 2/15/19
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
East Hawaii is a strange bird however. County, State, and Federal employees comprise about 70% of the workforce on our side of the island. For an example of this phenomenon, tomorrow, which is a government holiday, drive up to Highway 130 between Keaau and Pahoa either during morning or afternoon rush hour. Then on the following day, Tuesday when private AND government employees are all on the job, try it again. The difference in traffic on the two days is considerable.

HOTPE: Thanks, but no thanks. No way am I driving to Highway 130 on Monday to witness, and compare, the more - much more - dense traffic on Tuesday. I'll not be adding to the congestion and will be soundly sleeping in on Monday, as most of my fellow Fed workers will be as well.

Love the Brian Schatz quote. So very, very - and unfortunately - true.

Mike in HPP