Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would king Kamehameha allow protests?
I’m betting not. Probably round them all up and throw them over a cliff?

What do you think would happen?

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Puna: Our roosters crow first
It's lucky for the protesters that they don't live in "old" Hawaii - where protesters were instantly killed. There was no freedom of speech or assembly or individual rights and land could be given or sold to anyone the king took a fancy to.
I'm not really agreeing with the protesters. I wouldn't mind the TMT being built here. However I understand their viewpoint and I sympathize. I guess I'm somewhat neutral.

What's written above here is probably true but we can only speculate. However if we are speculating what King Kamehameha's government would do, I'll go own to guess that his government wouldn't build structures on the mountaintop in the first place. Therefore there would be no protest on that topic.
I'll ... guess that his government wouldn't build structures on the mountaintop

But would he or his predecessors march groups of "volunteers" up to the adze quarries, then extract large chunks of the mountaintop? (one of the complaints of TMT protestors is that the site of the telescope will be disturbed for a building pad)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Kamehameha's genius apparently was recognizing the superior European technology and doing what it takes to incorporate it?
Who knows? Perhaps the construction would not be welcome in the first place under a Hawaiian King.

One can take "what if" just about anywhere. What if the Japanese had taken over the islands, would they allow this activity?

A moot question, because they most likely would have exterminated all inhabitants of the island and there would be no one left to protest.
Pearl Harbor incident-

https://dirkdeklein.net/the-niihau-incid...rl-harbor/