Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody use a mesh network in Puna?
My wifi coverage isn't sufficient and I'm looking at upgrading to a mesh network. So many options and prices it boggles the mind. After skimming the research I've learned I probably had unrealistic expectations of what to expect from a standard router. I'm thinking about putting a node outside in a well sheltered area (like under the eaves) to extend the range further from the house but not sure if the Puna humidity will just quickly kill it. I'm guessing whatever I choose will be obsolete in a few years anyway.
I dont quite understand why you would want to setup a mesh network. are you sharing it with neighbors and want to mesh your connection with theirs or are you talking about putting another wifi router in your back yard to extend your signal there?
If your talking the secondary, you can always get a ubiquiti outdoor wireless unit. They take their power over the ethernet cable and are rain tolerant. Im pretty sure amazon has them.
I second kander, Ubiquiti outdoor directional APs work great; you might not even need multiple, just have it pointed where you need the furthest coverage. I've gone through 400 ft of jungle with 1 x 2.4GHz unit still achieving 5 mbit/s, and 2 units pointed at each other achieving 50+ mbit/s.

Another option to consider, if you share a power line/subpanel:
https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Computer-Network-Adapters/b?ie=UTF8&node=1194444

They come in ethernet-only and wireless options.
Range problems:
1. Portable devices have limited transmit power.
2. USian wifi has 13 channels; most APs default to the same one. Install a wifi analyzer on your smartphone to find the congestion.
I've never used APs, don't they have their own login? A mesh network allows roaming throughout the various nodes without having to log in or using different credentials etc and extending the range is a matter of putting one node within communication distance of another.
extending the range is a matter of putting one node within communication distance of another

Yes; some "mesh" systems have a "controller" that manages the handoff between radios.

My point being: if you need this to get coverage in a 2000sf house, you might have other problems that are easier/cheaper to solve. I'm getting a half-acre of signal from a single AP.