Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Aloha from Southwest
Southwest flights departing Hilo are cutting the corner and flying over Carlsmith Beach Park.
There is a sign on the edge of the runway that says " No left turn until crossing coast."
Wrong coast SWA.

Southwest's planes are twice as loud s Hawaiian's !
"There is a sign on the edge of the runway that says " No left turn until crossing coast.""

I've never seen that sign at Hilo. I've seen it at LAX. Looking at FlightAware I see the HA 717s also turning left before they reach the coast and when on HA flights I can testify they start turning before they reach the coast.

SW's 737s definitely turn a bit earlier than the 717s, but think that's simply because the aircraft has much better performance.
That is probably where I saw the sign.

This statement is from the aeronautical chart for PHTO:

"NOISE ABATEMENT: AVOID OVERFLIGHT OF NOISE SENSITIVE RESIDENTIAL AREAS N, W AND SW OF AIRPORT."

Southwest is flying right over the Mauna Loa Shores condo.
Yesterday a large (737 size?) jet flew over HPP around noontime. It was painted solid orange on the bottom, flying from a southerly direction toward the northeast - - at a very low altitude for a plane that size. I thought it would head toward Hilo, but instead it continued toward the mainland.

I'm assuming the flight originated in Kona rather than Maui or Oahu due to it's low altitude. Anyone else see the plane? Or have more info about the flight?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Southwest flights departing Hilo are cutting the corner and flying over Carlsmith Beach Park.

Complain to the FAA.

Southwest's planes are twice as loud s Hawaiian's !

They also carry twice as many passengers!
For me that makes my swim at 4 mile much more fun. Love seeing the big planes take off and land.
AVOID OVERFLIGHT OF NOISE SENSITIVE RESIDENTIAL AREAS

Is this from the same FAA that published the Hawaii Air Tour Common Procedure Manual (AWP13-136A of 08/15/2008)?

Much of the land under the final approach is zoned CG, CN, MCX, MG, ML, O, V, with some A and of course the UNV. Residents of R-zoned lands should have performed sufficient due diligence in order to discover the existence of a nearby airport.

Because the rules, and everyone.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Yesterday a large (737 size?) jet flew over HPP around noontime...Anyone else see the plane? Or have more info about the flight?

I saw it and remember thinking, “Wow, I’ve never seen that before”, as in a commercial jet flying low over HPP.
"Yesterday a large (737 size?) jet flew over HPP around noontime. It was painted solid orange on the bottom, flying from a southerly direction toward the northeast - - at a very low altitude for a plane that size. I thought it would head toward Hilo, but instead it continued toward the mainland.

I'm assuming the flight originated in Kona rather than Maui or Oahu due to it's low altitude. Anyone else see the plane? Or have more info about the flight?
"

I checked FlightAware and couldn't find any commercial flights that flew over or near HPP at the date and time you mention. I suspect it was Coastguard (but then I don't know what plane it might be) or military.

I do remember during emergencies caused by lava flows or incoming hurricanes that we would get large jets flying low over Kaloli Point on their way to Hilo. I never managed to see them but certainly heard them and the direction of travel was obvious - they were loud. I always assumed they were military or something similar bringing in support personnel and/or supplies.

The only time I ever saw a commercial jet from HPP was during the recent lava flow. It was well off the coast and flying quite low (2000 ft, I checked when I got home). Like many HA flights from Hilo then, if they had the time they treated their passengers to a view of the lava. But they flew a few miles off the coast, not overland.