Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
local cataract surgery
"So I assume you've done that test when you stare at a house and picket fence in the distance with a road leading up to it? "

I've seen that so many times, I start developing a back story for it: It's a farm house I always wanted to live at, but never had the means to get to. Then the machine makes a rumbling sound and the eye doc doesn't explain what is going on. Just put your chin here and press your forehead up on this thing.

I'm guessing the farm house is somewhere in the Midwest. Nowhere else is that flat. Maybe it represents a future we've always wanted?

Perhaps, it's only fully realized during cataract surgery if Pink Floyd is playing?
Next time I do that test I'm going to ask if they can build a Costco next door to the house. Just so we can keep this Punaweb related...

PS. I looked it up. It's a refraction test and is indeed designed to see how well your eyes focus.
I had both cataract surgeries at Driscoll's new clinic this week. I'll paste the implants I bought below. I'm only 2 days post 2nd surgery but my vision is amazing. I have distance, middle, and up close vision restored to a level I don't remember ever having, not to mention colors are vibrant and my depth perception is incredible. I can throw all the glasses (including the reading glasses) into the Lion's donation box. I can even read the little tiny letters on the back of US currency they use in the designs to deter counterfeiters. And they tell me my vision is supposed to *improve* over the next few months.

They did one eye on Tuesday and the other on Wednesday. They said with the crap vision I had, restoring one eye to near perfect and leaving the other would have left me a visual invalid. I don't know why they wouldn't do them both in the same day, I asked and they just said that "they couldn't". And by crap vision I'm not just referring to the cataracts, my vision has been very poor since I was a kid, but until the cataracts they could always correct it with glasses / contact lenses. Now I don't need anything.

I didn't have any real sedation. They gave me Xanax before the surgery and put an IV in and said they would use sedation "if needed" but they never asked me if I wanted any. I asked afterwards and they said all I had was the pills.

https://panoptix.myalcon.com/cataracts/p...optix-iol/
terracore, your story was very refreshing.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
That's great, terracore, and really pleased you had the same great experience I did. I couldn't believe how good my vision was just a day after the surgery and you're certainly correct about colors being more vivid. For me, everything was more vivid, bright and clear and you were lucky you got your other eye fixed so quickly. I was tearing at the bit to get my other eye treated after the first surgery but had to wait about 1.5 weeks.

Did you experience the lightshow during your surgeries?
Yes, I got the Pink Floyd experience during the laser portion of both events.

As far as seeing clearly, I was able to see better immediately after surgery, even looking through the plastic shield they had put over my eye. The doctor told me most of the post-operative blurriness was from the eye being dilated. Unlike an eye exam where the drops dilate your eyes for an hour or two, the type they use for surgery have an effect that lasts 1-2 days, even longer in some people.
Sounds like both of you turns out great. Good to know in case I ever need the surgery.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon - if you do need cataract surgery, I think you can rest assured there's a really good option for that in Hilo these days.

terracore - I'm sure the doctor told you about this, but there is a possibility you will get a secondary cataract at some point. It happened to me, the first one a few weeks after the surgery and the other a three years later. Both are fixed with five minutes of a laser procedure (and hours of hanging around). No sedation necessary and it's done with you sitting in a chair with the doc playing star wars with your eye. The results are immediate. So don't be surprised if this happens to you, it seems to be a common reaction and is fixed quickly.

https://youtu.be/JNcdzP6lJqU

I don't remember any after effects the first time I went through this, although the second procedure left with me with a slightly irratable eye for a couple of days and some floaters, but that went away quickly and I had clear vision again.
Thanks for the heads up Tom- they told me after the first eye that due to the nature of the cataract I had and the type of surgery they do, I would need to get the YAG laser treatment in about 2 months. They didn't say anything about the second eye, but that cataract wasn't nearly as bad as the other.

Fortunately, they said that insurance pays for it.