Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
HPP dog attack?
I know of over a dozen dogs who are chained up 24/7. Most with large heavy chains. These are not pets, they are used as one might use a doorbell camera. To alert you when visitors arrive and to scare off undesirables. However, it's pretty easy to deduce the radius of their chain so their home defense usefulness is debatable.
Yeah, there were some down the street that were kept in tiny cages 24/7.
(07-10-2022, 06:22 PM)AaronM Wrote: I know of over a dozen dogs who are chained up 24/7.  Most with large heavy chains.  These are not pets, they are used as one might use a doorbell camera. To alert you when visitors arrive and to scare off undesirables.  However, it's pretty easy to deduce the radius of their chain so their home defense usefulness is debatable.

They amended the laws in 2021 making it a criminal act to tether a dog under 6 months of age unless supervised, tethering in any manner that endangers a dog of any age (to include not having access to sustenance), or tethering a dog with tow straps, choke or prong collars, or log chains.
There are exceptions, however.

My animals are some of the most pampered and spoiled creatures on the planet. Almost to the point of embarrassment.
(07-10-2022, 10:51 PM)terracore Wrote:
(07-10-2022, 06:22 PM)AaronM Wrote: I know of over a dozen dogs who are chained up 24/7.  Most with large heavy chains.  These are not pets, they are used as one might use a doorbell camera. To alert you when visitors arrive and to scare off undesirables.  However, it's pretty easy to deduce the radius of their chain so their home defense usefulness is debatable.

They amended the laws in 2021 making it a criminal act to tether a dog under 6 months of age unless supervised, tethering in any manner that endangers a dog of any age (to include not having access to sustenance), or tethering a dog with tow straps, choke or prong collars, or log chains.

I was not aware of the new law, thanks.  Do you know who I call to report these tragedies?
https://www.hawaiipolice.com/services/an...l-services

Priority 1, 2, and 3 Calls
Calls received regarding Animal Control services are categorized as Priority One, Two, or Three. Animal Control staff continue to respond to Priority One calls 24 hours a day island-wide. Since July 1, 2021, Animal Control staff have responded to 30-50 calls a day, of which, an average of 20 of those calls require an immediate response. Priority One calls include those for injured animals, any animal that is a public safety risk, animal cruelty, and situations in which an animal’s owner has been arrested or died with no family to pick up the pet. Police ask that the public call police dispatch at (808) 935-3311 for Priority One, or emergency requests for assistance.

For Priority Two calls, those pertaining to lost or found pets and non-emergency issues, the public should call Animal Control staff at (808) 327-3558 or email at hpdanimalcontrol@hawaiicounty.gov. When leaving a message, please leave your name clearly, and repeat your contact information so that staff may contact you promptly. Staff answer the phones and return calls during normal business hours.

Priority Three calls pertain to deceased animals on the roadway. If people come across a deceased animal on a county road please call the Department of Public Works Highways Division at (808) 961-8349. If the deceased animal is on a state Highway or road, please call the State Department of Transportation Highways Division at (808) 933-8866.
Much obliged TC
Lawsuit over the attack:

https://www.civilbeat.org/?p=1521810&mc_cid=3967580f01&mc_eid=bb753109d3

BTW: Civil Beat is a great organization. I support them, and encourage others to as well.
Thanks for the update. I had been wondering what had happened with this.
Such a tragic tale. One that is destined to be repeated as the dregs of humanity are prolific breeders.