Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OTA Broadcasts in Leilani ?
Can OTA  TV broadcasts be received in Leilani?
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
https://punaweb.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=18722&highlight=Channels
I appreciate your attempt to provide an answer to my question, but you've missed the point.
I've dealt with drawing in TV broadcast signals from distant sources since the early '50s, living in Cle Elum, in the Cascade Mountains, watching stations from Seattle, approaching 100 miles distance, very early in the history of TV broadcasting when a good picture was so snowy you could hardly see it.

Most of the OTA conversations here on Puna Web concern other areas of Puna not Leilani.
My only interest is in if anyone in Leilani is receiving OTA TV signals.
No one else can give  me a useful answer.
If I don't get an answer, I'll assume no one is, with no need to bother myself further.
If someone is doing it, then it might need looking into.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
I can think of two ways to find out: drive around and see if there's a neighbor with a TV antenna, and ask them, maybe they watch TV but don't post on Punaweb.

Otherwise, get some kind of antenna, hang it temporarily, and see if it catches anything.

I seem to recall that Leilani is "behind a hill" so any OTA signal comes from a repeater, not Hilo? In which case: find out if that repeater still exists.
Personally,  it makes no difference to me.
I watch very little TV, only infrequently on very short and rare occasions.
We just bought a new replacement TV for my galfriend, a big 56" wall mounted set.
She watches TV but uses a Roku type of setup.
She's happy with that.

With this new set, I wanted to look into receiving local news broadcasts.
I can get that from the i-net.
Don't need to put a lot of effort into getting OTA, just curious if it might be worth trying.
It's looking to be more trouble than its worth to me.

EDIT:
quote:
I seem to recall that Leilani is "behind a hill" .

I'd heard similar.
Was thinking it might be more trouble than it's worth.
It's beginning to sound that way.
Thanks -
- - - - - - - - - - -
Hey Voyager, I just remembered that there was an existing thread that might help. I didn't know if it covered Leilani or not.

Best of luck!

PS Maybe you could call Spectrum. /s
Try https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps.  Enter your address or zip code and move pin on map to your precise location. You will see stations you are likely to receive and where their transmitters are located. Good luck.
Works great in lower Beaches/shores. First get a cheap powered antenna from Amazon ($40) and set it as high as you can. Point it towards Pahoa and scan for signals. I did not get a signal at ground level but works good from the peak of roof (12'). After my test period of 6 months I bought a good Channel Master antenna with amplifier to make it permanent and picked up a Tablo machine so I can receive it on my phone, computer, and multiply Roku Tv's. The bonus is Tablo also has a DVR for recording local channels (22 out of Hilo).
Deckman
Many of the "smart" tv's have apps built-in and will allow you to install additional apps. My Vizio allows other apps and I have installed Hawaii News Now and other local channel apps.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can also get a Fire TV device and watch all sorts of free programming. It also allows for other apps to be installed on it, which I find easier to use/control than the apps on the TV itself.